Hardwood garden furniture - cleaning

... but bad 'preservative' is worse than none at all in my experience. E.g. wood that is simply painted doesn't last as long as bare wood.

Reply to
usenet

A decent acrylic, microporous or solvent based gloss paint should last 5 years.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

All of my garden furniture is at least 60 years old - teak - and was covered with 60 years-worth of whatever gets onto teak garden furniture. My high-pressure blaster hose disposed of everything very quickly and efficiently. I suppose they must look almost new now, but not yet being 60, I will never know. John In limine sapientiae

Reply to
John Edgar

Thanks. That sounds the just the ticket. I'll see if I can rent one since I don't want to own one.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

They are definitely worth owning if you can spare the little shed space they take up. I got one for 30 quid from B&Q (probably as cheap as renting for a day). They are superb for cleaning up patios and concrete, too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

My Karcher 210 came with dire warnings about not letting it freeze, so unless your shed is frost-free it might be safer to bring it indoors over winter.. Maybe newer ones, or different designs, can be fully drained of water.

Reply to
Elessar

So did my B&Q. I left it outside (at times uncovered) all winter come rain, snow and ice. It still works perfectly. Buckets of water also left out there froze solid.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just a note of thanks for all the advice. I borrowed a pressure washer and then applied oodles of teak oil via a spray.

The transformation of our old garden furniture has been dramatic. Very pleased with the excellent help received here.

Reply to
Simon Gardner