Teak/Hardwood garden furniture - maintenance

Unless the weather does a radical U-turn (like our gov't seems to do at the drop of a hat) our hardwood (probably teak tho it's anyone guess what it really is tbh) set could do with a clean down and re-treat before it's packed up for winter.

I've heard that the best thing to use is wire wool to clean the surface back then "teak oil" the thing. I've previously used boiled linseed oil and it seemed ok - however, the surface is now covered in "grime" etc and could do with a proper treatment.

What's the experience of the group on this one?

I'd be tempted to use a sander on it tbh to go back thru all the crap and the old coating to re-treat the properly cleaned surface (240 grit or seomthing) but don't want to do damage if it's not the right wasy forward.

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

pressure washer

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmmm - hadn't thought of that.

Now - who do I know who's got one I can borrow :)

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

I was reading a manufacturer's site just today that said that pressure washing was not recommended because it could force the dirt into the grain or somesuch unlikely claptrap.

Reply to
Neil Jones

Really great way to ruin timber, even teak.

I prefer a scraper, and a broken glass scraper is better than a hooked steel scraper. This takes the algae off, but doesn't remove the surface of the wood. To brighten it, try a commercial patio deck cleaner, which is a mixture of detergents and an oxalic acid bleach.

Teak goes grey though - live with it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Try soaking the furniture with some warm water and mild detergent for a while then scrub with a soft brush across the grain.

If you really must pressure wash it, keep the nozzle as far from the furniture as you can as it may 'raise the grain' by stripping the pith away in between.

Wire wool can do the same, plus any strands that get stuck in the wood will rust and look unsightly.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C