garden furniture *oil*

What do others use on hardwood garden furniture, nicely dried out after winter storage?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'd like to know too. So far I haven't found anything that's much use.

Reply to
harry

The best product I've seen was based on a high melting point microcrystalline wax, but this was dropped because it wasn't sufficiently transparent and imparted a cloudiness to the finish. There is a trendy version of what is a very cheap raw material under the name Renaissance. I quite like the grey weatherbeaten look. Goes with the fence and the shed and all the other exterior wood in the neighbourhood. IME no finish prolongs the life of garden furniture anyway. Best you can do is ensure it dries out after getting rained on

Reply to
stuart noble

Best life-enhancement of garden furniture seems to be making it out of aluminium and plastic woven "wire". And it dries out fast. But that seems to be starting from a different place...

Reply to
polygonum

I use teak oil on my garden furniture. As long as I do it every year, the wood seems to stay in good nick.

Reply to
Bob H

Reply to
Huge

Due to the lack of clear guidance:-) I have purchased 1L of Cuprinol

*ultimate hardwood furniture oil*. The tin tells me it is superior to Teak oil!

I will report back but may be gone some time.

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Ronseal - and it does what it says on the tin.

Reply to
bert

Hi Tim,

Is it teak? If so I'd recommend a water based teak treatment. Teak is already a very oily wood and as such teak oil isn't the best think to prolong its life. Best thing to do is clean it using warm soapy water and a soft brush, then lightly sand it to remove heavy weathering. After you've done this you can apply one coat of treatment & let it dry. If needed you can then apply a second coat (1 coat is normally ample though).

Robert Bridgman

Reply to
rbridgman22

Tim Lamb :

What hardwood? Our furniture is teak and I was advised to put nothing on it. It's now been outside all year round for nearly twenty years and isn't showing any sign of distress. I pressure-wash it each spring, and that's it.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I can't afford real Teak:-)

Some sort of short grained hardwood though.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Our local park benches have nothing on them either.

Reply to
stuart noble