Hanging Kitchen Wall Units

I'm having a real problem hanging some kitchen wall units. The problem is that the wall isn't straight. The first four units hang nicely and butt up against each other front and back. But then the wall starts to slope away slightly such that although the units butt up together at the back, there is a 5mm gap at the front. I've been trying to pack them at the back using a wedge made of successive layers of 4mm pine strip, but I can't get it to look right. After 3 more units, the last one is about 16mm away from the wall at one end.

Is there a better solution, other than rebuilding the wall?

Reply to
Phil Skuse & Belha A. Haria

I usually screw a 2" x 1" batten along the whole wall first. Get that level and it only leaves you the back to front dimension to think about (plus it's a hell of a lot easier if you're working alone). Stand the unit on that, G clamp the front of each new unit to the last and put a couple of 5mm connector bolts through. Don't fully tighten the wall brackets until they're all nicely lined up and stop at the point you see the bottom of the cabinet start to lift If your gap is the result of one high spot on the wall, just chop it out. If the wall is just generally pissed, 16mm isn't the end of the world, but you can't get the true picture without doing something like the above.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes.

Get a timber batten the lenght of teh whiole run and just shalow enough to fit behind the cabinets under teh top

Fit that to the wall as best you can using packing strips to get it straight.

Notch out the sides of all teh cupborads so they fit as flush over teh batten as possible.

Hang te cabinets on te batten, and screw the wole lot together.

No you have a nasty wavy gap at the top, which you simmply ignore because no one can see it, and a nasty wavy gap at teh bottom.

This is easy. Get some MDF to fit between the worktop and the cupboards, run your cables behind it for sockets, mount it up, and paint it or tile it.

Use decorators caulk( and paint) to fill any end gaps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Phil.

Reply to
Phil Skuse & Belha A. Haria