Hanging big flat screen TVs

Hi,

I don't have one but... I am seeing more and more of these big flat screen TVs being sold... and believe they can be hung on walls.. I can understand how you would be able to hang them on solid 'tradtional' walls but what happens if you have a Barratt plasterboard style house - surely those walls could not take the weight of one of these flatscreens?

Any thoughts,

John.

Reply to
John Smith

Two options:

  1. Find the studwork and screw to that.
  2. Use 6x expanding plasterboard fixings, the ones with the cage setup. More than enough.
Reply to
Grunff

Why not? How do you think radiators, bookshelves, kitchen units etc are hung?

Look here:

Johnny

Thanks all,

So, for example on a new built house, how close is the woodwork or 'studs' (Vertical wooden battens right?) behind the plaster board? I had always assumed that there were big gaps between them?

John.

Reply to
John Smith

The plasterboard is screwed to the studs - no gaps. The studs are usually on 400-600mm centres.

Reply to
Grunff

Blu-tak. Job done.

Seriously, as long as you can attach to the beams behind the walls, it'll generally be OK. Even the largest flat screens aren't much more than a hundred kilos, and they are fairly close in to the wall, so the load isn't pulling the wall out much.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In my last house which had lath and plaster walls, I bolted the plasma screens wall bracket to a piece of mdf, which in turn was screwed to the vertical battens behind the lath and plaster - no problem in the year or so it was in place.

Ash

Reply to
Ash