Handyman Chronicles

Doesn't help.

Unless you know the street price of something, (i.e. the typical selling price after haggling or the standard one for suppliers wanting to trade on a high volume, low margin basis) then there is nothing to compare against.

For example, one type of supplier may have a high level of service and need high margin to cover it. Another may simply be selling at lowest price. A third may set a high list price, deliver nothing special and rely on most customers paying the asking price or something close to it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In agreement with many of the points others have raised:

a) Good signage on the van and keep it polished! If I need a local bloke and word of mouth turns up nothing, my next port of call will be looking for local blokes by virtue of spotting the van in the driveway in the evening - with meaningful signage and if the van is clean then he's probably got attention to detail IMO.

You're in Rochester? Do they have a community parish/town website that people actually read - ask to be listed in the local business listings page if they have one. May be free.

Some professional cards in the supermarkets' local traders board and local news agents? Can cost, but newsagents at least used to be cheap. People do actually read those sometimes.

I like the fridge magnets idea!

Your website is excellent BTW - clear, works in firefox perfectly and has actual information and prices! How rare...

Good luck!

Tim (also in Kent)

Reply to
Tim S

AAMOI where?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Pembury. 4 miles after Tonbridge from your direction IIRC. Probably a bit out of your area - and I rent, so I don't have much work unfortunately, though occasionally I find someone for the landlord if he's short of ideas when something major breaks.

Mind you, many people round here don't DIY - quite a lot of trade for people such as yourself. You have quite a lot of larger villages in the Cuxton direction don't you? Do they have a good target audience, eg well off, husband/wife works in London and too busy to DIY and are they in your catchment area?

The well off but too busy is a common theme down here. I work in London and am too busy. Unfortunately the well off bit eludes me. Something to do with the sodding property prices.

:(

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Yes it does. If one boiler's got a list price of £300 and another of £1200 then I've a good idea of where to start.

Reply to
Guy King

So you ask them for the list price when you contact them followed by their selling price.

Then you compare the product and price with others and decide whether it's way out of line.

The starting price gives you no indication of eventual discount - other factors provide the clues there.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

Here's on that worked well for me.

Years ago, I ran a small window blind company. Driving around I was more attuned to the state of people's window blinds than the ordinary punter.

I had a portable tape recorder on the passenger seat on which I verbally noted the address. I had made up some flyers which I then posted to the householder, or put through the letterbox if I was able to stop at the time.

It amazed me just how much business that generated. I suppose people suddenly realised how claggy and broken their blinds looked from the outside.

As you drive around you could do similar for external work that looks in need of doing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Hall saying something like:

Aye. Checking out her arse, you mean.

Consider yourself busted.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Avoid Yell. I registered and I had about 100 calls from people selling advertising!

sponix

Reply to
sponix

Trouble is, the "Sold" sign goes up the minute that an offer has been accepted on a property, as it's advertising how wonderful the agent is. It stays up until the buyer moves in, ie after survey, further negotiations, exchanging contracts, completion etc, then it comes down within a day or two of the new occupant moving in. In other words, for the vast majority of the time the Sold sign is being displayed, the property still has the vendors in resident, and the chances of a flyer reaching the buyers must be pretty negligible.

David

Reply to
Lobster

But maybe you don't want to handout 100 possible freebies all at once though!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sounds more like desperate to me.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The local electoral register may be helpful; depending on how the authority produce the data there may be an "additions" to the register sheet giving a monthly summary of who's moving in to the are.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So what he needs to do is note where the SOLD signs are, and leaflet when they disappear.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Also, how about a foam board that you can leave outside a property whilst you are working?

Maybe people would be happy for you to leave a foamboard outside for a week after doing a job?

sponix

Reply to
sponix

I believe John Stumbles leafleted a couple of roads round my area a few years back. You still see his van on the street most weeks!

Very cheap and effective advertising. Cost is a few hours to design, a few hours to leaflet and a few quid for paper and toner if you've already got a laser printer. Make sure you've got charge on your mobile.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just a thought ... how about schools ? I know that most of them have caretakers who do most little jobs, and some have favourite contractors, but it might be worth calling in and leaving something like a pen or fridge magnet with the phone number on with the secretary. There might be jobs from other staff (teachers, LSAs) some of the parents. Teachers might be interested in work at weekend, since it can be difficult for a teacher to get a day off to supervise. The idea of a free day's work would be bound to appeal to financially hard pressed (i.e. all) schools, and if your van is in the school at home-time lots of parents will see it - and might ask the secretary about you later. I work at BAE which I think is in your catchment area ... if you'd like to drop a couple of business cards in to me (Neil Chatfield, care of Hilary or Kay in Reception) I could pin them to some of the notice boards around the site. There are already some similar cards, but you never know... hth Neil

Reply to
neil

Another thought..how about booking a stall at the local school/church fete or car boot sale?

You could display a placard and hand out leaflets/business cards to passing punters.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Apologies if this has already bean mentioned - I have not caught up with the whole thread but I suspect that the most likely avenue for business using this method is if you are there every weekend. Then when someone needs something done they will have seen your van around and think 'next time I am over at B&Q I will jot down the number and give him a call' rather than noting it when they don't need work doing - just in case.

Also, would it perhaps be more effective to have a well painted and recognisable van rather than a whopping big sign? Makes it look more like you are out and about doing work rather than out and about trying to attract business.

Just a thought.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

You could also display before and after photographs (with text), and customer thank-you notes - with customer permission, of course.

Reply to
S Viemeister