Handyman Chronicles

Classic commercial vehicles are good for getting noticed.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Not yet, but I probably will soon, if the roof sign doesn't work out.

Still need to check that out, but it sounds good & cheap. Thanks John.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've had two enquiries already from wearing the work clothes. One in a queue in Argos, the other at a burger van.

You mean the wife who could teach Trinny & Susannah a thing or two? Or the two blond blue eyed daughters aged 20 & 23 who live in Bluewater most of the time?

You can buy perfectly serviceable sweatshirts in Matalan for £4. What would you go to a charity shop?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Another bit of advice is to make sure you register with the IR within three months..also ask about NI contributions exemption.

sponix

Reply to
sponix

Because it's (a) nearer and (b) cheaper.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I thought it was.... :-)

On a related note, designer clothing gets everywhere.

Yesterday I sat on a train in Germany next to a quite attractive young lady with a quite fashionable looking set of what appeared to be smart casual clothes.

Presently, when she got up, I inevitably ended up looking at the back pocket of the trousers upon which was a machine embroidered emblem of a bird in the same colour as the fabric and some text underneath.

When she came back, it was possible to read it as well.... Polizei.

She had a complementary anorak as well.

I've always liked uniforms. :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Or just take it a little further. Nice set of brightly coloured sandwich boards. A large hat made from papier mache in the shape of a claw hammer head, home made shoes in the shape of bricky's trowels, with the handles sticking out the back like spurs. Walk around the town centre on a Saturday afternoon, handing out leaflets. You'll end up with so much work, you'll have to take me on as an apprentice. You lucky individual you. :-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

How about dropping a letter through every door you see with a "For sale" sign?

The letter could point out the benefits of marketing a well presented house with all the "niggles" sorted out.

You could also put letters through the letter boxes of houses with a "Sold" sign outside, detailing your services and maybe offering a "new homeowner" discount.

sponix

Reply to
sponix

Just thought some more about this - you might want to try these?:

think both are free?

David

Reply to
Lobster

You have submitted your info to google-maps? How I found my last tyre fitter.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Oh, now that *is* a good idea! You could use the house prices and locations to target the prosperous market segment you're aiming for.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Give it away then - leaflet the 100 poshest houses in your target area (eg people who can recommend you to their prosperous friends & neighbours).......

**Free Home Repairs & Improvements**

I'm an experienced, trained and capable handyman, and I'm trying to establish a new business in this area. Everyone knows that the best tradesmen are obtained by personal recommendation, and also that it's the best form of advertising.

So I'm offering to work for you for a full day, doing any repairs or improvements you wish, without any charge for my time (you can provide the materials, or I'll supply them at cost). All I want is the opportunity to demonstrate the quality of my work, with no strings attached.

blah blah....

Reply to
Steve Walker

The message from "Steve Walker" contains these words:

Or have different tarrifs for different areas of prosperity. Sort of 1st and 2nd class.

Talking of different tarrifs for different customers. Someone mentioned MHS Boilers. I went to have a look - don't you just hate it when sites won't give you prices but tell you to ring them up instead. It always makes me assume that they're going to make the figure up off the top of their heads just to see how good you are at haggling. Generally I won't buy from places that hide their prices.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Steve Walker" contains these words:

I saw an effective ad a few years ago - the plumber had some fridge magnets made - just a picture of a drip with his phone number on 'em in small writing. Looked nice - didn't cost too much and I suspect he probably only left 'em at well off houses where everything had gone smoothly, but very clever.

I've a friend in the Rhonnda-ish area who has a plumber who's ex-directory. He's so busy he asks people not to tell others 'cos he doesn't have the time to get to them all. She had a major flap a while ago when she lost the bit of paper with his number on. Sounds like the plumber out of Brazil.

Reply to
Guy King

You mean you don't haggle on prices when they are published?

In reality it doesn't make any difference. If a seller of a product expects to be beaten down on price, he will publish a high list price to begin with.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bold! But Bold often works! I'm inspired!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Yes, but I'd like to know /roughly/ where I'm starting to see whether it's even worth bothering to start.

Reply to
Guy King

Aha! I might well permanently mount one to my vehicle. Does it mention this in the regs somewhere?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I already have them. Just need enough jobs to leave them at........

Reply to
The Medway Handyman