Gun fight.

I think I'll start a war...
Which are the preferred beefy cordless tools.
I deliberately avoided DeWalt due to it's stealability and gross overpricing. I bought an 18V Ryobi three speed combi drill and it's been very good. I use it at work for drilling out 2" holes in steel trunking with a holesaw and for drilling masonry. So far it's been excellent.
The matching jigsaw is also very good. It's the first cordless jigsaw I've used that doesn't sound plasticky. It makes short work of cutting steel trunking.
These are from the "One" range. The cordless vacuum is the only disappointment. It clogs very quickly.
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Makita.
My Makita 14.4v does that.

Hmm, I haven't got a cordless jigsaw, but if I did, it would be Makita. ;)

Can't see the point in a cordless vacuum, but then I've yet to see one that actually works.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

mused:

I have, and I could find better things to throw a ton at.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Seen it. Seen the price!
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Clive Mitchell wrote:

I think for general beefyness it's hard to beat a Hilti.
Some of their stuff has a security key thing, which might help stop if getting nicked (or at least give you the satisfaction of knowing that the scrote wot nicked it isn't going to get any use out of it).
Pricey though.
Were you wanting one with an SDS adapter and a wipe-clean finish?
Owain

Well yes, but I was talking for affordable personal use.
That said, I've been using a 36V Hilti to drill a huge number of holes in concrete for 12mm rods to support some large lighting trusses and it did an absolutely stellar job. I was easily getting a complete truss up (30 fixings) on each charge.
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Clive Mitchell wrote:

Might be hard, it seems the main protagonist has already croaked!

Of those I own, my Makitas by a long margin. Having said that I have also used Blue Bosch and Hitachi, and would probably be happy with those as well in practice. I have only one DeWalt cordless tool, and that is an angle drill - that is actually quite good (and had a better spec for my intended usage than the Makita). Price was about the same as the Ryobi.

All of them are stealable I would have thought... although I suppose making them yellow does make them more visible.
DeWalt stuff does seem to vary a bit in build quality (I am thinking more the corded stuff now). Some seems no better that the better B&D stuff (which I suppose it *is* really) and some is first class.
With the cordless I have noticed their low capacity NiCd batteries are poor - if you replace a 1.3Ah pack with a 2.0Ah pack for example you seems to get four times the performance.

The "one" bit is a nifty marketing tool I suppose, but in reality you can buy tools from all the usual top end makers in "body only" form (i.e. sans batteries and chargers). When you do that, it makes the Ryobi stuff look less attractive. (for example I paid 75 for a 18V Makita Impact Driver body only)
--
Cheers,

John.

Clive Mitchell wrote:

I'm very pleased with my Wickes/Kress 14:4v combi. Came with 2 x 2 a/h batts & 1 hour charger. It's got loads of wellie.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Do they still do that model?
Looking at the web site, they only have one Kress OEMed cordless that I could see:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/167237
which I would guess is the same as:
http://www.kress-elektrik.de/en/products/product.php?id '83
Most of their grey bodied power tools are sourced from decent OEMs the black body stuff seems to be far more variable from what I have seen.
--
Cheers,

John.

The el-cheapo black-bodied rechargeable drill I bought in there is junk. Waste of money.
--
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this

All el-cheapos are if you compare them to decent ones. If they weren't who would pay the higher price? But a cheap one might be adequate for occasional DIY tasks.
The Wicks 'grey' Kress high torque with right angle drive is a gem, though. But not cheap.
--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

S'all I bought it for. But I've bent something in it and it no longer rotates true and the battery's holding less and less charge, even after only a few months, so I think I'll swallow hard and buy a decent one.
--
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those
who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this

Don't forget the Wicks grey high torque then - worth it for the right angle drive attachment alone. IIRC, it's unique.
--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Makes you want to spit, doesn't it?

Not really. It was on special offer and if it lasts a year I'll be happy.