GU10 LED

Hello

A couple of my 50 watt GU10 lamps have failed in the kitchen. I am thinking of replacing these with the LED type, which while a bit more expensive have a longer life (upto 50,000 hours) and use a lot less power (1.8 watts). They don't have the same brightness of a 50 watt halogen but are meant to be about the same as a 35 watt halogen.

Anyone used these and if so what are your thoughts on them.

Thinking of going for the warm white ones from here:

Ash

This is almost a lie. They may have the same peak brightness as a 35W halogen, but the beamwidth is much lower. The total light output is at best, using the best LEDs, not going to be more than a 4W or so halogen. Even the newest not-yet-in-volume-production LEDs, the very top end of the brightness curve (it varies significantly between LEDs in the same batch) is only about double that of the best incandescent.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

They are crap. A little better are the flourescent lights in a GU10 fitting, but these only fit certain lights and look somewhat clumsy to say the least.

Reply to
Mike

They have nothing like that life, at best you will get about a fifth of that. The failure mode is somewhat different from incandescent lamps - the output declines over life rather than suddenly failing.

Oh aye? An LED lamp typically has a beam width of only 20 deg and a light output of about 35 Candellas. A 35W GU10 30deg lamp has a centre axis light output of about 500 Candellas.

"About the same"? It might be about the same as a 35W standard incandescent bulb but not much else.

Yes, noticeably blue cast even from the "warm white" (LED lamps are blue LEDS with a fluorescent coatings to move the emissions redwards) and poor light output. Fine for positions where light level and quality are unimportant but lamp life is an issue but not otherwise.

which is somewhat more reasonable.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Thanks everyone for the replies, put me off them.

Ash

Reply to
Ash