Baxi Brazilia help

The short metal rod that links the control knob to the gas tap on my Baxi Brazilia 8000S has snapped!

Baxi no longer sell this separately so I would have to part with =A3140 to replace... I don't think so.

Does anyone have/know where to find such a part, I'd gladly buy a new Baxi for a reasonable price if required.

Thanks

Daniel

Reply to
danlou

Metal rod? And it's snapped? I have to ask. How the hell did you do that?

Baxi no longer sell this separately so I would have to part with £140 to replace... I don't think so.

And is there ends left sticking out that could be fixed back together?

Does anyone have/know where to find such a part, I'd gladly buy a new Baxi for a reasonable price if required.

Thanks

Daniel

Buy a new boiler for the sake of 140 quids? I'd rather buy the new part.

Reply to
BigWallop

This is a wall mounted gas room heater.

The rod snapped due to the damp in our bathroom.

the rod slides into the plastic knob in one end, and slots into the gas tap fitting in the other. They used to sell separately but no longer do!

These heaters sell for about =A3250 new, but could pick up one on eBay for =A3100 odd.

Other option is a bit of welding (the two ends) but don't have the contacts/know how.

Reply to
Daniel

On 3 Jan 2005 12:22:01 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com strung together this:

If you do end up needing a new heater give us a shout, I think I've got one going that you can have for a reasonable price.

Reply to
Lurch

More info! Electrical switches, potentiometers, etc. usually have a round spindle with a big flat on it (i.e. D shaped section), 1/4 inch or 6 mm diameter. If it is this sort of arrangement you should be able to make a replacement by filing flats on a bit of 6 mm studding or even a length of six inch nail. If it is a hex shaft then you need to cut down a suitable allen key. Unless it is a very obscure arrangement then changing the boiler seems OTT!

Reply to
Newshound

The rod snapped due to the damp in our bathroom.

the rod slides into the plastic knob in one end, and slots into the gas tap fitting in the other. They used to sell separately but no longer do!

These heaters sell for about £250 new, but could pick up one on eBay for £100 odd.

Other option is a bit of welding (the two ends) but don't have the contacts/know how.

Don't know the dimensions of the part - but could you adapt something of a similar size by cutting and filing it to fit - such as a long steel bolt or perhaps the rod from an old door handle etc?

Dave

Reply to
logized

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote in news:1104783721.030809.276400 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I haven't used them for a bit, but Gas Appliance Spares, Preston

Tel 01772702755 according to local directory, no web presence, have always worked well for me

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Hi Daniel, I had exactly the same thing happen a couple of years ago and bought a spare from

This may be what you are after....

this helps,

Dave

Reply to
Dave Lawrance

Hi Daniel, I had exactly the same thing happen a couple of years ago and bought a spare from

This may be what you are after....

this helps,

Dave

Reply to
Dave Lawrance

I've never known damp bad enough to snap a metal rod! Are you telling us everything?

Do you mean it rotted away? In which case the remainder of the unit may be somewhat suspect also. Depending on exactly where the "break" is you may be able to make up a connecting sleeve with either clamping grub screws or through split pins to join the bits together.

Reply to
John

I was surprised when the rod snapped! I needed to remove the cover to do some decorating, and the instructions say to ease the plastic knob off of the control rod, which I attempted to do. However the weakest link in the chain must have been the centre of the rod, as this snapped before the knob came free of the rod!!!

I've attempted using Araldite Metal to form a sleeve over the entire section but this on it's own was a failure- perhaps combining this with some kind of split pin or clamp would be possible. Anyone had experience of Araldite Metal for switches etc.?

This rod I talk of is in fact flat on one side, with a hollow in one end for the spring, and a kind of 'cam shaped' switch that flicks the piezo spark generator. So it would require some nifty metalworking to replace.

Dave: thanks for the link. I have been told that this knob is only the plastic piece, that the rod slots into? Or am I wrong? Lurch: Is it a Brazilia?

Reply to
Daniel

Yes, Daniel you are right. That link is just for the plastic knob. (I should have read your posting more closely - It was late)!

In my case, it was the plastic that broke, as you would probably expect really.

Good luck with your search.

Reply to
Dave Lawrance

Baxi brazilia wall heater control knob very very stiff.not turning at all

Reply to
Mohammed

Put in a bit of effort and you might break it off like the others from

16 years ago.
Reply to
Max Demian