GU10 CFL equivalents

You may find them acceptable - I'm afraid I don't - the light quality and colour rendition is poor in my view.

Certainly I wouldn't use them inside the house, especially as the energy saving claims, taken in the round are marginal at best.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was at a friend's 'eco-house' last night which is lit entirely by Megaman energy saving bulbs and I had (and they seem to have) no issues with brightness or temperature of light.

There are two colour temperatures available for their GU10 replacements See -

you expand on your view on the energy saving claims? Whilst you do gain the 'waste' heat from conventional lamps it's not necessarily where you want it - putting heat into my kitchen ceiling is not especially useful and for the 6 months of the year when my heating is probably off any waste heat is just that. Comparisons on manufacturing energy input don't take account of the final transport leg to the home (which for many foodstuffs, at least, is the most significant input to energy).

Reply to
b33k34

Different people have different perceptions of that. I am quite picky about light quality and these devices are simply not up to snuff.

The longer hours of use for lighting occur during the winter months. We are on a latitude where there is a reasonably seasonal shift in sunrise and sunset times. It is therefore incorrect to say that the energy released by lighting for 6 months of the year is not useful. During the summer, usage of artificial light is much smaller and in the winter much longer.

It is also perfectly reasonable that heat from conventional lamps is usefully delivered to the room above.

That's another issue.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 23:25:30 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

You have twisted what was said, presumably to fit in with your own agenda.

The original statement, "putting heat into my kitchen ceiling is not especially useful and for the 6 months of the year when my heating is probably off any waste heat is just that", is entirely correct. It makes no assertion that the amount of heat released is the same in summer and winter.

Some will be, if there are rooms above. However, electricity is an expensive way of heating a house. You usually advocate that the only consideration in the choice of heating supplier/fuel is the lowest cost.

Reply to
David Hansen

I haven't twisted anything and there is no agenda other than to point out the fallacies in the use of CFLs. Apart from being non-optimal from the lighting perspective, the energy saving claims don't stack up in practice.

Heat energy production from lights is greater in the winter because of longer operating hours. This is because it's dark for more of the time that people are normally awake.

OK so far? Good.

The next point is that it's typically colder in the winter and heating is required. Some of this can be obtained from the same lights. During that period it is not wasted energy.

That is true but is misleading. However, in comparison with the amount of energy used in the winter for lighting, that used in the summer is almost negligible - probably 4 or 5 to 1 in terms of hours of use.

Of course. However, it is not correct to say that the energy is wasted in the summer in terms of that being significant; and it is not correct to say that it is wasted in the winter because it isn't.

Summer lighting use in comparison with winter use is a small proportion.

Heat energy contribution from lighting towards heating a house is small in comparison with the total requrement.

The discussion becomes one of a small part of a small part which immediately illustrates that the focus is wrong.

Reply to
Andy Hall