GRP Repair

I presume repairing a GRP split means applying resin, fibreglass mat, resin, fibreglass mat then resin. Is other reinforcement also needed? Also how should the surface be prepared? Its a bath side.

thanks, NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've repaired a damaged bath just like this, worked fine. Do you know what caused the original split though? Maybe could do with some additional mechanical support underneath to prevent a recurrence (in my case IIRC it was simply to install the middle 'foot' below the bathtub, where the original fitter hadn't bothered!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

thanks. If someone leans their knee on it, eg to lean oevr the bath, it just isnt strong enough. I figured if I put a decent sized repair patch there it would spread the load out and be sufficient, hopefully. I dont want to replace it as it'd be a whole load of extra work.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You can also easily incorporate stiffeners when doing the patch. Simply tightly twist some newspaper to form a rope about a cm in diameter. Resin the area to be patched, place the paper rope on it, lay the GRP matting over it then resin in place so the GRP follows the shape of the rope. A 1" paintbrush with bristles trimmed to about 1" length is a good tool for stippling in the resin.

Reply to
Peter Parry

thanks, not done resin before.

NT