Great Card

Got a great card from one of my daughters for FD. The front featured a quotation from Tim Taylor (whoever he is);

"Real men don't use instructions, they are only the manufacturers opinion on how to put the thing together".

I like it!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't get it . . . REAL real men only look at the instructions to see why the manufacturer thought it needed 3 extra washers and 1 extra bolt to make it work.

Reply to
OG

An American comedy creation, the presenter of the fictitious DIY show "Tool Time" played by Tim Allen, voice of Buzz Lightyear, Captain Peter Quincy Taggart of Galaxy Quest, and stand up comedian.

The show is "Home Improvement".

Must be a job lot of those thing, I got one from one of my daughters.

Reply to
Steve Firth

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Not really on topic, but I recently assembled some Next furniture and the instructions were appalling! One key issue was the use of a "package contents list" to help you check and identify the parts. Not only were the images of parts not accurate enough for confident identification, but the assembly instructions then used completely different code references and descriptions for the items.

Unbelievable!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Never fails to amaze me how knowledgeable people on this group are :-)

Ah! They were cheap! That explains things :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have just taken a closer look at mine.

Picture of a man with a huge glass of beer balanced on the settee arm, wife sits at the other end reading her 'HER' magazine with the caption...

Well, you were the one who said I had to get my drinking down to one glass a day'.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

It does :-)

If she still lives at yours then you are not giving her enough pocket money or if she has left the nest then she is planning to buy a load of flat pack furniture etc for you to assemble for free.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I was particularly impressed with a tub of 2-part car body filler which I bought from Screwfix last week:

manufacturer's printed instructions exhort me to squeeze out equal lengths of the two components from the respective tubes...

"HELLO!!! the stuff's in a TUB!"

ISTR there was even a picture of the tub on the instructions, so it wasn't even as if I'd got the wrong set by mistake. All I could do was guesstimate the ratio of hardener to filler from previous experience (and it worked fine); if I'd never used it before I'd have been completely stumped!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Well, she had the opportunity to model Medway Handyman t-shirts in the shopping centre and turned it down....

Owain

Reply to
Owain