cctv

Looking for a covert camera to find out who is using my front garden a s a dumping ground. Not large objects but still inconvienient and repetative dumping. Saw this

wondered if if it was anygood?

Reply to
nthng2snet

Looking for a covert camera to find out who is using my front garden a s a dumping ground. Not large objects but still inconvienient and repetative dumping. Saw this

wondered if if it was anygood?

Reply to
nthng2snet

and wondered if if it was anygood?

If you've got to run a lead to supply power to the camera and transmitter, why not also have a lead to take video from the camera?

That camera doesn't seem to have any infra-red illumination built in, so you'll need that too, or a different camera with much better sensitivity like the Sony EX-HAD ones which will give a picture from just a bit of star/moon light.

Reply to
Andy Burns

and wondered if if it was anygood?

Assuming the dumping is likely to be done at night, you may want more info about the lux values that the CCTV works at. Also, is it likely that the camera will give enough resolution to really identify the culprits?

Reply to
OG

well its 380 lines at 3 lux and colur. There are 0 lux cameras with LEDs but they look unsuitanle as I have seen 0 lux without LEDs

Reply to
nthng2snet

Something like this is what you need:

Steve Firth

With good street lighting, that will just about show you that there is someone moving about in the garden. The cheapo 380 TVL cameras are really only useful as door entry monitors.

If you want colour, you should be looking at something around 480 TVL. However, at night, monochrome at around 570 TVL with a separate IR light will give the best results. It will cost more, but less than buying a useless system first, then buying something that will work.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

and wondered if if it was anygood?

Forget the IFR crap you'll need one that cost at the very least £300 for it to give you a decent quality of picture at night time.

Just buy a good camera and install an outside passive light capable of reaching the borders of your garden,at least this will give a good definition of the person and at the same time it might deter them from doing it again.

Reply to
George

and wondered if if it was anygood?

If you can afford one of these...

can attach a camera to the viewing eyepiece :0)

Reply to
George

If you try the ones at argos you can take them back when they don't work how you want them to.

Reply to
mogga

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net declared for all the world to hear...

and wondered if if it was anygood?

If you want it to see in the dark you need one with built-in infrared.

Reply to
Jon

Take note that most of the cameras with IR LEDs work at 840nm which gives better preformance but has the downside of being visible, if you need IR illumination for covert surveilance then you need 930nm? LEDs.

Have a look at RF Concepts

, they have plenty of bullet cameras, in particular the 19BSHRX looks like it would be good at low light levels. I tried to buy one of these a little while ago but they were out of stock, instead I bought the CC70CHSHRX and am happy with the results. It is very much a case of you get what you pay for.

One other thing to note that is cameras with built in IR LEDs seem to attract spiders like they are going out of fashion. It may well be better to follow the advice of other posters and install some floodlighting, to deter and provide better illumination for any camera you do buy.

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:12:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net mused:

No, it's a pile of s**te. If you want to use it as something to identify someone with in the dark then you don't want a CMOS camera (crap pictures), you want something that works down to as near 0lux as you can (3 lux is useless in anything other than daylight) and you want to be looking at 500TVL or thereabouts.

Why do it covertly? I'd maybe be inclined to do it overtly, partly because covert cameras in the dark outdorrs are a bit trickier to get set up and working effectively due to the size usually so an overt installation would allow a decent camera to be fitted.

What are you planning on recording on?

Reply to
Lurch

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:49:17 +0100, Jon mused:

> and wondered if if it was anygood?

Is this another subject you know f*ck all about but felt the need to have a stab?

Reply to
Lurch