Grand Designs: building a shed in Peckham

And the timing of the sales are crucial to minimise CGT.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I think I would sell the house first retaining the land, then sell the land later. The house was seriously devalued by that monstrosity.

Reply to
Mike

I had all my kitchen appliances ripped out during my last project. They flooded the place too when the washing machine came out. Everything was carried out of the front door and, of course, nobody saw anything....

Reply to
Jon

Thts what most houses are.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IIRC doing it that way, the land gets full CGT, as it is no longer part of your main dwelling.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Perhaps the first appliance should be the burglar alarm.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

True. But as the land went at auction for only £40k, and you would have owned it for many years, and provided you were married and had it in joint names, you should be able to mimimize the tax due.

Reply to
Mike