Good strong glue

Can anyone recommend a good strong glue that isn't a liquid? I need to put it on a vertical surface but obviously don't want to have it all dribble down. I have no faith in Superglue - the only thing I've ever seen it stick is skin!

It's actually to mount my LPG control switch in position in the car. They're self-adhesive but for some reason this just won't stay stuck on. You can see what it's for here:

John

jim laid this down on his screen :

Thanks Jim but that's a bit much for the tiny bit I'll need. Was hoping for something in a 'modelling' size tube maybe ^^

Reply to
John

Well yeah but you'll be able to put it back every time it falls off for years.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Gorilla glue might do it, clean all of the old stuff off first with something like isopropyl alcohol. You need a very thin layer, or a tiny drop near the centre, since it foams slightly and you would need to hold the switch in place while it sets with a bit of tape. I've got a double wall socket stuck to the tiles in the kitchen with that stuff. Try some test sticking first so that you don't end up with a foamy brown ring around the switch.

The 60ml one would be plenty and it doesn't keep that long after opening;

rp

lol lol lol

Reply to
John

Evostik contact.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think I would try a double sided foam sticky pad, cut to fit.

Car interiors get warm, so they might not last forever. Car rear view mirror stickers are a stronger version and will withstand solar heating.

Or (since I have some), a little blob of Shoe Goo, bearing in mind that this would be a near permanent solution.

Reply to
newshound

jim was thinking very hard :

Did you look what I'm wanting it for? The whole switch is only 20mm square and as the wires come in to the middle I can only put the glue around the edges, so a few drops is all I need. Someone suggested Evo Stick contact and that's in a small tube with a much more manageable nozzle more suited to this application for £2.09. Thanks for your input though mate, it is appreciated.

Reply to
John

Two-part epoxy like Araldite Rapid.

Reply to
Graham.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

A good idea Chris and I appreciate the suggestion but I'm a clumsy sod at the best of times and have fat, sausage-like fingers. If you look at the photo, that's the only wiggle room I've got. I can't pull the switch forward so would have to cut to size then cut a slit to get over the wires, remove the backing and try to stick to the switch first, before removing second backing to stick to dash. It just ain't gonna happen :')

Reply to
John

John used his keyboard to write :

Thanks folks, I'm going to try TNP's suggestion of Evostik contact as that should be easy enough to get on the required surfaces.

Reply to
John

Is the correct answer. Beware of the Pound Shop stuff. Sometimes it sets like steel, sometimes like cheese.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I would suggest 2 rolls of adhesive velco strip. One roll hooks , one roll loops. se as and when required. I find a tape width of around 30mm is ideal for lots of different jobs.

Reply to
Yvonne

Gorilla. Or gorilla tape. Wonderful stuff. Stuff needs clamping, the glue expands to fill gaps. Read instruction, goes off with moisture.

Reply to
harry

I bought this glue at the London Model Engineering Exhibition, and it's absolutely amazing. It's basically a cyanoacrylate, but more viscous. Sticks most things to most things, and helps me uphold my reputation for "Grandpa fix it":

Ramsman

...will not adhere to anything remotely plastic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is dangerously wrong.

Epoxies are almost always the worst glues for any amateur bonding.

And are useless on olefins like polythene, or some more flexible plastics like vinyls.

They require extremely accurate measuring and very comprehensive mixing and ideally a fair amount of heat to set to their best strength.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have that reputation, too - especially as there's no daddy in evidence.

Reply to
charles

Car body filler?

Reply to