Good, strong gloves, but not leather?

Most people aren't saints despite having moral principles. You seem to suggest that people who occasionally drop litter in the streets might as well go out to rape and murder as well. We all sin; keeping sinning low is the next best idea to not sinning at all.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Quite a lot of beer and wine isn't vegetarian either since it is cleared using Isinglass finings which come from the swimbladder of a sturgeon.

Real ale on handpump invariably contains Isinglass but bottled beers are sometimes cleared using other methods.

If you want to know if your favourite ale is vegetarian then look at this very interesting website which contains a list of vegetarian beers and correspondence from brewers:

F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

But eating meat per se isn't sinful. Unless we ate meat there'd be very few ruminants around.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think most of us know that. What's your point? Do you want a list of apparently 'vegetarian' items which contain animal by-products? You;d soon get bored.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It is to some people. In any case that was only a parable to show that there can be gradations in ethical eating - it isn't an all or none affair.

Which would reduce global warming, destruction of tropical forests, and destructive mono-cultures. Sounds OK to me.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Probably not. A good number of people get rather animated when presented with the facts of slaughtered animal products in jellies, yoghurts, Polo mints, &c. The possible existence of gelatine in many restaurant sweets comes as a profound shock to many waiters who frequently don't appreciate its genesis. As you suggested earlier, it's possibly best to stick to DIY food; trusting a restaurant to advise you that their apple pie is suitable for vegetarians is probably not a good idea when they put a V next to salmon salad. ;-(

Reply to
John Cartmell

ever-increasing amounts of incontinent rubbish spewed here that has no relevance.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They are also very good when you need to wire out some electronic equipment racks that don't have rolled edges on the steel work!

Reply to
John Rumm

Quite. I wasn't challenging you :-)

We'd reduce all that much more if we didn't have mankind.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And in the pills they pop.

Some cooks too, I suspect. they buy gelatine in tins or packets, they don'tmake it from scratch.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Got me there, I admit that I've never done that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You would say that with a name like yours! ;-)

Criticism accepted (if not the tone) but I think Mary and I did attempt to keep some aspect of DIY in there - and whatever the provocation your description is crap ...

Reply to
John Cartmell

A severe reduction in those numbers would make it reasonable again to import some very interesting hardwoods for DIY use ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

er- the destruction of tropical forests was/is by Man, not by the ruminants. The 'demand' for beef reared on the cleared ground isn't the fault of the ruminants, it's by Man.

Destructive mono-cultures aren't just about feeding ruminants, they have all sorts of other end-products.

Global warming is a result, largely, of using powered tools and vehicles.

The answer? DIY :-)

Get out a hand saw, use legs instead of a car. Most carjounreys are for very short journeys which could be walked.

Yes, I know that a hand saw uses steel which demands energy to make it but that energy is a one-off use.

Et cetera.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And reading it is voluntary.

- and whatever the provocation your

He's been looking at a dictionary again.

Funny, I'd forgotten about this poster, he leads a very lonely life in my kf. He should do the same with us if he doesn't like what we have to say.

It's quite easy, you can do it yourself ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

John and Mary,

May I suggest that you continue this off-group?

Top-posted by the Original Poster! Pearson

[ .. then deleted ..]
Reply to
David Pearson

Yes. But the complaint was that by advocating vegetarianism there would be fewer ruminants.

Yes.

So you too are working hard to make this all relevant! ;-)

Can we also advocate long-lasting hand-tools in place of the 'use once for a job' power tools that I've seen proposed here recently?

Reply to
John Cartmell

Same applies to the bargain basement 12 quid computer cases - all stamped sheet steel with no deburring. Work on one of those without gloves for a few mins and you will be leaking claret all over the place!

Reply to
John Rumm

Will anyone takeany notice? Buying cheaply and throwing away is universal, sadly, in every sphere. There are exceptions to every rule, I'm pleased to say.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Never done that either. I'm not one to try to save a penny.

I'd rather have real claret, sadly I don't drink enough for my veins to run with it :-)

It's frightfully hot and close tonight, I think I'll go to bed. I wish it would rain and clean the air.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher