good book / info on structural engineering.

Anyone recommend a good book from which I can learn to do my own structural calculations ? However, I suppose I wouldn't be able to sign off without a qualification. Is a screen-grab from superbeam allowed, if you haven't bought it and don't have the print option ? Simon.
sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

<(Amazon.com product link shortened)37587463/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/203-1066310-5309568>
A disclaimer must apply though: know your limitations. Simple stuff like simply supported beams is pretty straightforward, but for anything more complex, especially where combinations of different sort of loading, lateral loads, the risk of buckling, wind and snow loads, etc. a real structural engineer should be consulted.
--
Andy

On 18 Jan 2006 04:24:29 -0800 wrote :

Unlike the land of the free you do not have to have any qualifications to submit structural calcs. For some suggested books check our website page http://www.sda.co.uk/booklist.htm

NO! (what other answer could I give).
sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You have to understand design concepts, and I don't think its a simple as reading a book and swapping figures in worked examples.
Structural Elements Design Manual by Trevor Draycot is easy to read and was indicative reading for us. Also Chudleys' Building Construction Handbook has some examples.
And if you are happy that after reading a book, your designed beams will not bring the rooms above down then good luck. NB the fact that building control pass your calculation, does not mean that the design as a whole is adequate.
Just spend the 50 and get them done properly - its a very small % of the job cost
dg