When is a partition not a partition?

I normally like to read the Jeff Howwell column in the Telegraph (web version) but in todays issue he says "British houses have always been built with timber stud partitions".

My early 70s house has brick or blockwork walls throughout, upstairs and down. Should these be called something other than partitions, or is he talking bollocks?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

He's talking bollocks! victorian terraced houses have always been 'brick' partitions

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

And an awful lot of not-as-old-as-victorian houses had cinder block, which gives grey dust when you drill it. Partition walls in new houses resonate like a drum. I thought there were to be some new regs about sound transmission between rooms. If so, maybe the barrat boxes will have to start using blocks again between bedrooms. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I think it's interpretation and terminology - a partition wall just divides a larger space, and isn't vital to the structure as a whole. Note, he says "have always been built with", rather that "are always built with", with which I can agree.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yep bollocks but while we are on the subject, is it safe to assume partitions that run in the direction of the beams above are not supporting walls ? is it also safe to assume all upstairs walls with just the loft above are non supporting (provided there is no obvious roof strut resting upon it)

Reply to
Vass

oops! hold the front page, recollections of me younger days on the job reveals some walls where studded, they being a none load bearing wall.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It depends on your interpretation of what he wrote.

Timber stud partitions (aka walls) have been used in British houses for centuries - but not to the exclusion of other methods. Thus, British houses HAVE always been built with timber stud partitions. Not ALL British houses have been built with timber stud partitions.

Boy babies have always been born to women but not all babies born to women have been boys.

Thank goodness.

People do tend to assume that readers will understand what they write. Readers do tend to put their own connotation on anything which could be ambiguous.

There are many examples of each in newsgroups and this one isn't an exception.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

He's generally "not well informed" to be kind about it.

There was an article on condensing boilers some while ago, where he dredged up information based on UK first generation products (which were crap) and what he might have heard at the morning mother's meeting in the plumbing merchants. A great deal of inaccurate information.

I can think of a variety of wall construction methods that I have seen for partition walls (meaning non-structural):

- single brick

- single concrete block

- single breezeblock

- lath and plaster on timber studs

- plasterboard on studs

- paramount

- ....

etc.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They could be buttressing a wall that they meet at right angles.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

|I normally like to read the Jeff Howwell column in the Telegraph (web |version) but in todays issue he says "British houses have always been |built with timber stud partitions". | |My early 70s house has brick or blockwork walls throughout, upstairs |and down. Should these be called something other than partitions, or is |he talking bollocks?

The equivalent in medieval houses was wattle and daub which was clearly = the predecessor of timber stud partitions.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

|> My early 70s house has brick or blockwork walls throughout, upstairs |> and down. Should these be called something other than partitions, or = is |> he talking bollocks? | |It depends on your interpretation of what he wrote. | |Timber stud partitions (aka walls) have been used in British houses for=20 |centuries - but not to the exclusion of other methods. Thus, British = houses=20 |HAVE always been built with timber stud partitions. Not ALL British = houses=20 |have been built with timber stud partitions. | |Boy babies have always been born to women but not all babies born to = women=20 |have been boys. | |Thank goodness. | |People do tend to assume that readers will understand what they write.=20 |Readers do tend to put their own connotation on anything which could be=20 |ambiguous. | |There are many examples of each in newsgroups and this one isn't an=20 |exception.

OMG I agree with Mary ;-)

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

I can add:

2" plaster blocks reinforced with straw and covered with sand/cement render then plaster (I have some!).
Reply to
Bob Mannix

yes of course, silly me

Reply to
Vass

These walls often support the joists above, plus maybe water tanks.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No, you are. Timber framed lath and plaster walls are common in Victorian terraced houses. T&G panelled walls are also not unknown from that time.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Wo "oops! hold the front page, recollections of me younger days on the job reveals some walls where studded, they being a none load bearing wall".