glowworm combination boiler

hi, i have just moved into my flat which has a 1 year old glow worm combi with hot water on demand and a timer system for the radiators.
on the boiler display you can set the temperature of the radiator water and the tap water.
i just wondered if anyone has an idea of a good temperature to set these to, being hot enough but not wasteful?
thanks

Since no-one else has replied, how about:
Tap water (aka "Domestic Hot Water"): try 55 and see how it feels. If it's so hot you always have to add cold, or you scald yourself, turn it down a bit. Or up, if shaving or coffee making are too miserable at that temperature. Different people have different notions of the temperature they like their hot water. If there are very young or very old folk about, don't set it too hot.
Heating water: the boiler is more efficient if the return temperature can be kept down, but what to set it at depends on the design of your system and how well it's been set up. Try 70 to start with, and be prepared to increase it if the radiators aren't big enough to keep the place warm when the outside temperature really drops. If it's still keeping everywhere comfortable, drop it a bit.
To summarise: use your nous.
--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. snipped-for-privacy@mainbeam.co.uk)***

I have a similar 12 month old glow worm combi. Kevin is 'spot on' with the settings. I have mine set at this . The radiators have valves fitted which I consider essential . These regulate the heat in various rooms in the house. Peter.
hi peter i had the plumber come in and service the boiler. he said it sounds quite loud, although he doesn't use glow worm's very often and only used it here because the flue exits from the back instead of the top. i also noticed today it makes quite a thud when it comes on, and sometimes does it a few times. seeing as you have the same make boiler, do you find yours loud? not sure whether to call out glow worm. i'm in the 2nd year of owning it. the labour would cost money but parts are guaranteed for a 2nd year seeing as i got it serviced. thanks ben

Sounds like a Flexicom, which I think may be a Saunier Duval in disguise. Have a look at the Plumbing and Heating forum on diynot.com, and I think you'll find that it's a known problem with them. I can't remember what the conclusion was, although some of the regulars on that forum will undoubtedly have said something along the lines of "Sonya doovle! Serves you right!" - which isn't much help when you've got one stuck on the wall.
--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. snipped-for-privacy@mainbeam.co.uk)***

Hi Ben. When mine comes on I heard one thud but not too loud.At first it seems a bit noisy but I put this down to the amount of gas it is using. I think Glow worm charge a out 70 call out. I have just signed up with Powergen for a years full contrtact and service 156 as oppossed to Brit Gas who wanted 225. Best of luck Peter.
yes it is a flexicom 30cx when it comes on you hear a fan then one or two thuds i'm not sure whether to call them out or not, maybe this is just the way it operates? it is working ok as in it's heating the water and the radiators are working. not sure i want to pay 70 (only parts are covered under warranty for the 2nd year) in case they say its fine?

I am sure that as it is working efficiently as you have had is checked and serviced by, I presume a Corgi man , all will be well. I should just put up with a bit of noise and enjoy the heat in this cold weather. Peter.