Glasses for DIY

I find point light sources in low light stretch out into "lines" aligned with the angle of my astigmatism for each eye (which in my case yields a crossover effect). What is odd (but not uncommon I suspect) is that the "line" is not a smooth bright central point with "ends" of diminishing brightness which fade to dark, but is has instead some granularity to it, so you see the line punctuated by more clearly defined (but dimmer) copies of the main image of the light source diminishing toward the ends.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think it was Andy's use of the word "prismatic" which confused things. While one can have prismatic lenses, they are not typically used for correcting astigmatism. (normally specified as a combination of a main lens speherical power, and then a separate cylindrical power along with its associated angle).

Prismatic shifts can be used shift the whole image up / down / left / right which is separate from any astigmatism correction. I learnt a long time ago never to try on my Mother's specs which include prismatic corrections, unless you want headache in a hurry! (she has needed them to correct double vision suffered following a fractured her skull in her late teens)

Reply to
John Rumm

... its applied to *some* glasses. (typically for correction of problems like a squint or double vision)

John Rumm

An optician pal of mine said man's natural lifespan is about 35 years, as after that the ability to focus starts deteriorating. Assuming perfect sight to start with. You need to see in the distance for hunting, and see close up to make arrows etc in the evenings in poor light.

IIRC, it's an hereditary condition. Which may come from either parent and even skip a generation. And of course varies in severity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It probably depends on the skull shape - which might well be hereditary.

Reply to
charles

It's an interesting theory, but don't think it's been proved.

With no specs etc to correct the distant vision:-

If you are long sighted and continually need to focus for distance, you can get headaches.

If you are short sighted, you can't focus for distance anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh well. If I start getting headaches I'll know what to do:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A lot of people never seem to have heard of astigmatism, let alone know what it is.

I used to describe it as flat eyeballs and, when my astigmatism was very bad about 20 years ago, used to hand them of my glasses and tell them to look through the right lens at the clock, if there was one, whilst rotating the glasses through 90 degrees.

Their reactions were usually quite interesting ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

Does it not occur to you that you have chosen the wrong frames?

Reply to
Terry Casey

In message , Terry Casey writes

I suppose rimless might be better but these are not John Lennon mini portholes or the current vogue for black plastic fencing.

Maybe my eyes are set back abnormally or have better peripheral performance than necessary. I have only tried them for driving and found slip roads/T junctions a bit unnerving.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You said earlier that your 'TV glasses' are really your distance vision pair.

What happens to the double vision you were complaining of originally if you wear them?

When I put 'reglazing glasses' into Google, it very obligingly prompted me with 'reglazing glasses specsavers'

The first hit says: "We offer single vision reglazing from £39 ..."

However, if you just search on 'reglazing glasses' you will find a plethora of companies offering postal reglazing services. Is Specsavers the only opticians near you? We must have about half a dozen in town ...

From what you said about your current frames obscuring your vision, though, they are obviously unfit for purpose - possibly they are much too narrow to suit your face? So why would you want to have them reglazed anyway?

I can't see the frames of my glasses - which came from Specsavers, as it happens and weren't particularly expensive - unless I try to look over the top for some strange reason and they most definitely don't obstruct my peripheral vision!

Reply to
Terry Casey

In message , Terry Casey writes

Point light sources resolve back to single.

Yes. Now try getting by the sales drone in the shop front. The other issue is that they do not voluntarily give the inter-pupillary distance. I know this can be found with a rule and mirror but seems a bit selfish for what purports to be a free NH funded test.

No. Convenient for parking.

Metal framed so not massive. A quick test shows a vertical bar at about

60 deg. Peripheral goes round to 90+ and more for a light source. The answer is to learn to turn my head rather than just swivelling the eyes:-)
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Most would know that a lens is normally like a slice of a sphere. In the case of astigmatism, think more of an egg, or rugby ball. So it has a different power according to axis. Specs to correct this do more or less the opposite.

However, a rigid contact lens corrects the astigmatism easily, as it becomes effectively part of the cornea. If all the astigmatism is on the front of the cornea. A soft lens forms to the cornea, so needs optics to correct the astigmatism.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The way it was explained to me by an optician was that, where the hard lens diverges from the curvature of the cornea, fluid builds up in the gaps and it is these wedges of fluid, which act as prisms, which correct the errors caused by the distorted cornea.

Reply to
Terry Casey

"Fashion" has far too much influence on the availabillty of frames that actually let you see properly. A year or so back "fashion" meant that the only frames about were slits so like looking through a letter box. Larger rounder frames are about these days but even the largest ares still to small IMHO. Bring back what you could get in the 70's, depending on your prescription getting the the lens from the blank could be quite a squeeze. Blanks are what 2 1/2" dia?

Things that affect your vision need getting used to, so need to be worn most of the time. It's not only the shape of the world that changes (not much at the lower powers) but also how one move ones whole head to get the best vision. This includes "moving" the frame out of the way.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's because you don't wear 'em enoough to get used to 'em. B-) I work outside in all weathers, do DIY with masks, wear eardefending headphones, not often a bone dome as I hate the things. Don't find glasses a problem at all. But I've been wearing them for about 50 years, have to walk into things if I don't...

There doesn't appear to be any focus feed back loop. If there was no one would need glasses for simple focus problems. The eyes adjust the lens to what should be correct but the shape of the eyeball means it isn't.

Presbyopia happens you can't do anything about it. Right PITA it is too, my natural in focus range is now only about 1" deep around 6" from my eyes.

I got away with that sort of age glasses from my 20's to mid forties or so. Since then presbyopia has slowly crept in and the single vision lenses have become varifocals and need changing about every year. I should imagine that my lenes will become rock hard fairly soon and the near prescription will stop changing. The normal, far, presciption hasn't changed over the creeping onset of prebyopia.

On my sample of Specsavers (Hexham) I won't go there again, managed to mess up the test some how, so one lens was incorrect, took far to much effort to geta re-test and new lens, even now I'm not overly happy about the glasses being correct. I used to go to a private opticians but they are ina town I don't frequent so it would be special trips (50 miles round). The rest of the family have been using Vision Express (Carlisle) with good results so I've just been to them. They'd rather sell you a new frame (that's where their profit is) but will re-glaze old frames provided they are in good condition and you have a suitable spare pair (if you *have* wear specs to function properly).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not sure prism is correct? A prism inverts the image. Think it's more that the tear just fills the gap between the two and becomes part of a composite lens.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not sure what is meant by natural focus but this screen print is in focus at about 1m -->

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Think that is myopia - sort sight? Presbyobia is long sight where the rest focus position of the eye is beyond infinity.

At least if you are short sighted you can remove your specs to read. ;-)

I've got presbyobia and astigmatism so have needed correction for everything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and the name "Presbyopia" is derived from the Greek for "old". It happens to most of us with time.

Reply to
charles