Gillette Fusion 5 razor blades

It is sometime since I last bought a manual razor for shaving as I find the modern tripple blade ones last a long time.

But on searching I found something called the Gillette Fusion 5. I have also found the blades for this razor for sale on ebay. Some of them are described as "Shaving Razor Blades Refills Compatible for Gillette Fusion 5 Proglide PK" One sellers reviews are mostly positive.

Does anyone bought such blades and found them to be as good as genuine Gillette blades bought in a UK shop?

Reply to
Michael Chare

I always used Gillette blades - in particular a twin blade ( I think it is called Contour). I never found other branded blades any good.

However, a few years ago, I was travelling a forgot to pack any razor blades. I couldn’t find any Gillette ones and the only compatible ones I could find were Wilko own brand. I think they do both twin and triple versions which fit the handle I use ( I have several).

I was fully expecting poor shaves until I could find some Gillette blades but was surprised to find they were not only excellent - sharp and seem to stay so for as long - but about half the price or less.

I’ve used them ever since. I pop into Wilko now and then and stock up with several packs- being careful to ensure there are a couple in the motorhome and one in my toilet bag I use for other trips.

I think Gillette try to encourage you to move to their newer razors. I prefer the one I’ve used for years.

Reply to
Brian

I've never bought "compatible" blades, but I wonder if there's any difference (other than price) between the Fusion and Fusion Power blades?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Interesting thank you. Are you using the 3 or 5 blade version of the Wilko razors. There is a branch of Wilko nearby. I might go and look.

I remember buying Boots blades quite a long time ago now!

Reply to
Michael Chare

I think its the coating in the surface that rubs against the face, where wear can be seen after a few shaves. I'd be surprised if it justifies the price differencial though.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I use lidl 5 bladed blades (in their handle) and have found over the years for them to be exceptionally good.

Reply to
alan_m

As I can use the same blade for a year I’m not sure it’s worth looking for a cheaper brand. (I shave most days after showering).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+
<snip>

That's what made me change to a safety razor. I used to use the Lidl twin-blade razors, then they were discontinued and five blades was available. I couldn't get my head round how I could possibly need five blades, then I saw the light - I was being taken for a ride by marketing men.

So I bought a safety razor and a packet of blades for a few quid. Seems to work perfectly well at a fraction of the price and with very little waste.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I found going up to a 5 blade razor does give me a better shave. I'm now trying the ones made by "Harry's" (a German company) which are cheaper.

Reply to
charles

I bought four storage holders of five blades, from a seller who described them as genuine. The blades looked the part, but they were useless. The only obvious difference between them, and what was left of my genuine ones, was that the genuine clear plastic blade store had 'Fusion' moulded into the plastic. Examining the actual blades under a good lens, they were blunt.

I have never found any seller on Ebay offerring a compatible blade, could you post a link?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

The number of blades is just marketing bullshit but 5 blades seems to be the standard these days. Although the blade needs to be sharp and stay sharp I've found that biggest difference is made with the handle which needs NOT to be lightweight plastic.

Companies like Gillette seem to bring out a new shaving experience every few weeks in a desperate attempt to keep market share :)

Reply to
alan_m

I bet Marketing people are, even now, trying to move on to the seven blade razor. I wonder if punters will follow?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I think they are available in 2 and 3. I tend to use the 2 bladed ones but they aren’t Fusion.

Me to. Terrible.

Reply to
Brian

I bought a Rolls Razor Imperial No.2 the other day which is probably as old as me and the (presumably) original blade is still plenty sharp enough. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Just be careful. Not all the modern 3-blade razors last a long time. They ruined it. As all marketing men must insist.

If "sampling" blade razor products, buy the "teaser pack" and see how wretched the product has become. That's what I did. Finding the store trying to sell a 15-pack or a 50-pack of blades, is a warning sign of treachery. Nobody needs that many blades... unless the blades have been ruined. I could get a better shave from a 50 pound box of roofing nails.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

bum fluff

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

From a TV programme I saw decades ago, wear is often not the problem, it is more that the blades get coated.The programme was one where people presented their inventions, they were tested and they were also assessed for patentability.

On one episode, someone had asked that a crew member brought in an old and tired blade. The inventor put it on his machine (basically a rotating drum geared from the innards of a battery drill), cleaned it and gave it back. The crew member used it to shave and declared it almost like new.

As it happened, the inventor could not patent his device, as it turns out that one of the razor blade companies had already patented such a device, to stop anyone making them.

Since then I have always given blades a good wash and then pushed them backwards, on top of a towel, on a flat surface, to remove any coating. They do last longer, but not indefinitely, this way.

Reply to
SteveW

I will not buy Gillette products due to their woke adverts :-

I use Wilkinson sword I have never tried 'compatible' blades . I do not change blades enough to worry about pricing.

Oh and just as an aside Procter and Gamble (Gillette's parent company ) also own Tampax who's latest (?) sponsorship is to a man (Dylan Malveney, a trans 'woman') who has absolutely no need of tampons (except for first aid purposes, very good on(in?) a gunshot wound I am told). An example of where Gillette is coming from?

Reply to
soup

Oh and a lot (most?) of these blades are made in <wait for it>

' ' ' ' ' ' Russia.

Hardly ethical, P&G/Gillette, are they.

Reply to
soup