GIGA News still taking my posts via BT internet

BT sent me an email a few days ago saying that their agreement with Giga News had ceased and directed me to them to sign up for what looks like an outrageous amount.

However, I can still reply to other posts and if this appears then I can still initiate threads. Strange.

Reply to
Andrew

This may depend on when Giganews eventually get around to disconnecting you.

They'll probably do this when its most convenient for them, and they'll not be took bothered if former subscribers are left with the impression that they've somehow been "forgotten".

Unlike in the case of individual subscribers to some services whose luck might hold out for years, as BT subscribers presumably form quite a large group its unlikely you'll be be overlooked for too long.

michael adams

michael adams

Giganews are probably allowing direct, unauthenticated access from the pool of IP addresses used by BT's ADSL lines etc[1]. Your access will go some time after they remove this access from any control file. They (Giganews) will probably have to restart their News server for this to take effect. Hence some delay.

Usenet access has been discussed elsewhere in this Newsgroup. Commercial access is available for a few quid per year. Or you could sign up for one of the free services:

Aioe.org Public News server

Albasani.net

Eternal September

[1] My ISP -- Plusnet -- also outsources their News service to Giganews:

$ host news.plus.net news.plus.net is an alias for usenet.plus.net. usenet.plus.net is an alias for europe.isp.giganews.com. europe.isp.giganews.com has address 216.196.109.145

and access is unauthenticated. Hence my guess at the way News is available from your BT service.

Reply to
Dennis Davis