getting external paint off (once) white bricks

Hi folks,

long time no lurk for me, but now the missus has given me a new project to add to the big list of other projects we've got on the go - remove some pretty poor khaki stroke taupe coloured paint (!) from the bottom few courses of bricks on the front of the house.....

No idea why the previous owners thought this might be a good idea; they also painted the underneath of the side bay window white, but getting that off isn't as important as the front.

Since the house is built from those whitish bricks (york stone?) am I going to damage things by using summat like nitromors or would I be better off with a heat gun?

Any tips greatly appreciated, as always :)

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Wouldn't a blowlamp do the job? A powerful one will at least ruin the paint for finishing with expensive chemicals later. The only danger is if the bricks are wet and fissured. Doing it on a dry spell is the most sensible way to go anyhow as it would use less gas.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Well, if the bricks are anything like the other 95% of the house they'll be fine - it's literally just the dozen or so courses underneath the bay windows. Nice and dry today so I might have a go, pity there's no 'inconspicuous' areas to try first :)

cheers

Witchy

I wonder if there is a damp problem there? You may end up having to paint it all again with bitumastic paint.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Fortunately there was no evidence of damp when we had the internals off to replace the living room floor :) All the downpipes are present and correct too, though I guess I need to check for a drip slot underneath the windowsills.....

cheers

Witchy