Generators

I'm considering getting a small generator for emrgency use.

At present I would use this 'stand alone', with no connection to the house circuits with changeover switch, etc.

I would get an inverter model, as I'd quite like stable output. Any advice here would be useful.

One specific question; what you do with the earth terminal. As I undersyand, these connect to the generator frame and to the generator neutral. But what should I do with that terminal?

Reply to
Bob Eager

The honda EUxxi models seem good, inverter, easily converted to LPG, can run twin sets in parallel ... but not cheap for emergency use only.

Reply to
Andy Burns

They aren?t normally connected to the generator neutral. If you want an RCD to work, you need to link the neutral to the generator earth and link the generator earth to your earth. The RCD goes after the link.

Above is from generator technical support.

Honda is certainly the best of the bunch, quiet, reliable, but expensive.

The Clarke ones are popular and much cheaper.

Reply to
Radio Man

Thanks for the earth advice. I had decided that Honda were a bit expensive for me, and I am a bit wary about Clarke since other Clarke stuff (I know it's all badged for Machine Mart) has been a disappointment!

Currently looking at Champion, Hyundai and Loncin.

Reply to
Bob Eager

also look at Lidl/Aldi

Reply to
charles

And if you want to power the boiler the ignition needs neutral and earth to be connected together.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Ive had a little Lidl inverter generator as standby for several years, easy to start and does the job.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Not that you can read much into it, but FWIW my wood chipper has a Loincin engine - seems well made and is very easy to start.

Reply to
John Rumm

The rveiews seem encouraging.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've had the small MM Clarke inverter generator for some years. My impression is that the Chinese "fake honda engines" are virtually as good as the real thing these days.

Reply to
newshound

And they are very quiet. Unlike my 2kVA open frame single cylinder diesel but then it was 1/10 the cost of a Honda EU20i.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That depends on which factory made it and to what budget constraints. A lot of genuine branded small engines are made in China including the excellent one on my Mountfield mower.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

The important thing is that the house's earth needs to remain earthed. No problem with TT but it can be a problem if a supply cable is cut for work and you rely on a supplier earth. Adding a local earth rod can solve the latter.

Whether the gen frame is connected to anything is another matter with its own issues. Portable gen are mostly run IT, ie not earthed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr