Generator

gave up and ordered the 850W one.

On that website it does say "Motors fitted to hand tools generally do not require any additional start-up current."

So maybe I'll be OK, maybe not. The power tool motors won't have the working load applied when they start, unlike something like a fridge, so the starting surge shouldn't be as severe. I've mailed Lionsun to see what they say, and see if I can send it back if it's not up to it or if I can cancel the order. The latter is more likely- I don't know if these things have a bit of oil and petrol lurking from testing or not- otherwise it can't be returned and resold after try it.

Has anyone used a hand drill, belt sander etc with a small petrol generator?

Maybe I should try hiring one for a day and see.

Reply to
Craig Graham

I guess so most of the surge is due to the fact until the motor is spining there is no back EMF to reduce the flow of current through what is effectively just a length of copper wire connected across the mains. The longer it takes to spin up the bigger the surge, as you say an unloaded hand tool might be OK.

Under the Distance Selling Regulations you have absolute right to reject the goods *for any reason*. How long you have depends on what information was available to you at the time of purchase. The default, unless the business make it clear otherwise, is up to 3 months 7 days from when you receive the goods and you just have to make the goods available for collection. You don't have to do anything, like pay return postage etc under the *default* conditions. This is why you will almost certainly find what a companies returns policy is fairly easyly on mailorder or internet selling sites.

Note: The DSR only applies to "business" to "consumer" transactions not "business" to "business" or "private" sales.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, generators run tools - building sites use them all the time. I used a

2.2kW Diesel generator on my house, no problems except that starting a large circular saw bench with induction motor really slowed it down - took 5-10 seconds to recover and get up to speed.

Roger Moss

Reply to
Roger Moss

But were any of your power tools close to the 2.2kW limit? The issue is whether a smaller generator can run tools whose running power is around the same as the generator's maximum output. So to be a comparable test, your saw bench would have to be bigger than 2kW. If your saw bench is about 1.1kW and it hammered the generator on startup then it could be bad news for what I'm trying to do.

Of course, looking at the generator FAQs it seems different generators all rated the same number of kW will behave differently under inductive load so all is probably pretty meaningless until I get hold of one and try it! Would be nice if the suppliers could try it on a decent power drill but I'll have to see about that. Someone like Screwfix wouldn't but Lionsun seem to be quite a small firm so there's more individual flexibility there.

Reply to
Craig Graham

I'd always assumed the 'wattage' stated on power tools (brush type motor) was the maximum - ie with the drill etc at near stall.

An induction motor is a very different kettle of minnows.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The saw bench was about 2 kW, I guess. A microwave oven was also a bit tricky.

I used a 1.26 kVA belt sander for days on end, plus about 1 KW floodlights, with no problem (though the generator has since packed up - too many people could not pull it hard enough and kept starting it backwards). My suggestion would be to go for nothing less than 2 kW as it is so useful to be able to run some lights as well, or a kettle, or a Hoover - and it is less likely to get overloaded.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Moss

They are useless for suppressing noise. A better solution is to use the sheets designed for the job, these are a composite of sound absorbing foam, a material to dissipate sound energy (lead or a polymer) and more foam or bitumen. This is sold in sheets for DIY use and it's much thinner than the rockwool. I've tried high density rockwool before now. It no effect at all on sound.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Quite happily. I have 2.2kw and 650W generators. I use the bigger one to power a combination microwave that draws 2kW and it works well. Yes it protests a bit under load but it works perfectly. The smaller one I have used to power a 650W drill, again no problems.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's good to know. I should be fine with the 850W then, I think.

Re a previous comment on getting nothing less than 2kW; ideally yes, but money is always an issue. It's taken a long time to decide to go for a ~£100 unit. Bigger generators are out of the range I can pay, given ultimately it's not a necessity but a convenience.

Reply to
Craig Graham

The kettle isn't an issue- the garage is so near the house I can pop back in when I want a drink.

If the noise level is low enough of the new generator, I may be a bit more adventurous in terms of lighting; I'm thinking a battery charger, car battery and invertor to power some fluorescents without them going off as soon as I draw too much power or switch off for the night. I won't need site spots or anything- just task lighting.

Thanks again for the responses; two indications that it will work and nobody who'se tried and failed, so I feel better about waiting for the new one to arrive.

Reply to
Craig Graham

Your "850W" generator will be a 650W one. It will (I guess) be one of the two-stroke Yamaha powered units that are so ubiquitous at the moment. Indeed it's the one that I have that I described as "650W". There are many manufacturers selling them with their own label on (SIP, Wolf etc).

BTW, £100 is a bit of a high price. They currently sell for around $40+VAT.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't think so. Generators seem to have two power ratings- peak and sustained. The peak one always seems to be the one written on the box. In this case, the photograph shows "1100" on the box and it's advertised as a "850W" generator- nothing about peak or sustained. This makes me think it's

850W sustained and 1100W peak and they just don't bother quoting the peak capacity since it's not a great deal of use.

It's the cheaper of the two shown on the front page of

Craig Graham

Just a blank page.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Which bit are you disagreeing with? The power rating or the going price?

Certainly the website description clearly states 850W or 1kVA. The price well, wander over to eBay and see what small generators are available, I think you'll find about two or three different models (one of which looks *very* much like the one at Lionsun) from half a dozen or more sellers. Priced from =A350 to =A380 inc VAT and delivery with Buy It Now, you might be able get cheaper if you bid and wait...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Works for me, mostly. Annoying animated large banner at the top and the images on the homepage are broken because they point to a local file on the machine that generated the page.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The bit about it being a 650W sustained. I've had a response back from them and they say it will run at 1kW for short times, so they are quoting sustained rates on their website whereas many people seem to be quoting peak.

Once bitten, twice shy. I got a bum generator through eBay. Although I've bought other stuff no problem, now that I've decided to give up on this one and buy a new one then I'm going to buy it through conventional channels, with a warranty and with the ability to send it back if I have any hassle with it. I'll use eBay again, just not to replace this.

I've just had a quick look and I don't see anything comparable for the prices you mention. Just 650W ones. And a rather nice one I'd have done "Buy it now" on if this had been the first time through the loop;

Craig Graham

If anyone is after a 2.2KVA open framed generator, I know someone who is selling on e for £120

email me if interested

Reply to
geoff

I think you'll find that they're normally spec'd in KVA not KW

Reply to
geoff

"You must have cookies enabled..."

so I didn't go any further

Reply to
geoff

You bought and ex hire/building site generator not a new one... You can't expect something that has been used and abused to be perfect.

Note that the build quality of that bashed to hell American engined 4 stroke jobbie is probably significantly higher than the chinese, made down to a price, 2 stroke.

The DIstance Selling Regulations cover you regardless in a business to consumer transaction. I fail to see the difference between buying mail order from Lionsun or mail order from a trader on eBay unless Lionsun are close enough that you can bang on their door...

Fairly Nuff, was going on memory from a month back.

Quite but to far for me to collect. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice