General musing - how long would you expect modern appliances to last?

What I don't understand is halogen radiant heaters and radiant rings (on a vitroceramic hob).

Surely the point of the halogen gas is to enable white heat without the filament burning out - heaters and rings are only red hot.

Reply to
Max Demian

....or in my case the LCD display had slowly died, one segment at a time, until it was impossible to 'see' what you were doing.

New display was 65 quid, so into a skip at 27 months old

Reply to
Mark Carver

What LCD display? I have never ever bought a microwave with such a useless interface on it.

My latest is a 'semi catering' type. It has two knobs. And no turntable. And a removable plastic floor for cleaning. It is the best microwave I have owned, or used elsewhere by, far.

Precisely

Like when I dropped my mobile phone and smashed the screen less than a week after buying it, It was *just* worth replacing the screen. But it was close.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it's a LCD display, some of those use elastomer or Zebra connectors, and disassembly and reassembly might fix it. Depending on how many segments don't work. Elastomers work by compression.

I'd really be surprised if a microwave used something like that, as usually the microwave companies go for the more exotic display types. Maybe it's really not the old style LCD type. The old LCDs were black and white, and were reflective (worked from outside light). The common computer monitor type are transmission ones (light on inside of unit).

There was one computer monitor panel, that was both. It was transreflective. You could take it out on the patio and use it in full sunlight. Most of the computer monitors at the store, would be poor in direct sunlight. That concept didn't catch on.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I would expect "darker" rings to be more efficient, in that they don't waste energy as visible light. However, I think that halogen hobs were developed as they could be turned on and off almost instantly in a similar way to gas. The problem with ordinary rings is that they are thermally very slow. Do halogen hobs burn out their "elements" at the same rate as ordinary rings?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Too many people are wise to not attempt fixing anything. I've seen people that if asked to fix a leak would end up badly bruised, water everywhere, plumbing busted & unusable and doubtless damaged something else along the way.

Maybe it's a fool that can do nothing practical, but sometimes it's better they accept that and let others do it.

Re learning it, it's weird how so many people just have a mental block. They really can't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, we can't be expert in everything, can we. And to have a complete set of tools for any given purpose you have to have an interest in that purpose. I have a few tools to do general things. But I'm not going to buy a table saw or lathe or jigsaw or angle grinder, because I wouldn't use them more than once in 20 years. Nor will I get the tool our plumber has to regrind the mating surface inside the pillar taps so that they don't drip when shut off. Neither are we going to have the template our plumber has that he used when installing our kitchen so that he could cut the worktop to fit at 90 degrees properly.

And perhaps folk here who think that everyone should be able to repair their leaking d/w, can also repair a pair of trousers that snagged on some barbed wire, or patch a wollen pullover that moth has got at, or resole shoes that have worn down.

Reply to
Tim Streater

lightbulbs

ceramic

Something like that but when our grill element failed it was just a "hot spot". Long (inches) sections of the element had ruptured. I guess that could have started from a hot spot then the live end of the broken element wire shorting to earth via the casing blowing it apart and consuming the wire. The cooker isn't on an RCD and the resistance of the remaining element wire keeping the fault current below that required to trip the 32 A MCB.

Make that 2,400+ C (colour temp of an tungsten filament lamp is around 2700 K).

Hot spots certainly form in heating elements, I've seen the variation in glow. That must stress that section more than else where if only due to the differing expansion.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The insulation is hygroscopic. Keeping the ends well sealed when it cycles from nothing to red hot is difficult, or should I say ultimately impossible. Water vapour is absorbed, flashover occurs from element to case et voila, something melts or vapourises.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But why halogen? Why not argon/nitrogen like the old fashioned tungsten lamps?

Reply to
Max Demian