Gatepost movement

Hi,

I installed some wooden driveway gates a couple of years back and for the posts used some 7" x 7" tanalised timber, which are secured with post-mix. They are about 5' 5" above ground.

I've noticed that the gates are starting to not meet in the middle quite as well, with a slight vertical mis-alignment. i.e. the gates align in the middle at the bottom, but at the top, there's a 10mm gap.

After investigating, I've found that one of my posts is starting to twist length-ways. I'm astonished, as these posts are rock-solid and I thought they'd see me out. The twist is quite significant and clearly visible if you scan your eyes up and down the length of the post.

Does anyone know why this has happened ? Is it due to weather ? Will it get even worse ?

I can move a hinge sideways to compensate, but if it gets worse, then maybe I'll have to dig out the post somehow :^( - doesn't bear thinking about.

Anyone else seen this ? The very reason I bought such hefty posts was to avoid any movement.

Thanks

Reply to
cf-leeds

Kiln dried timber does that, which is why my gate posts are brick.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

well, sadly, the bigger the post the more movement.

Sounds like they are just very wet and slowly drying out.

Wood is wood. Wood moves summer to winter. Get used to it and adjust the best you can..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the worst comes to it, you may need to insert a packer under the hinge - not dig up the post!

Reply to
John Rumm

My posts have twisted too. To twist the post around in the ground, attach a piece of 4x2 a couple of yards long to the post using several clamps and pull on it. Afterwards bash the ground around the post with a sledgehammer.

Reply to
Matty F

It is because you used softwood timber posts. With timber, there is always going to be a risk of twisting. Gone are the days when you could easily get well-seasoned oak that was less likely to twist.

For heavy gates I always specify steel posts made of square or rectangular hollow section with the hinge pivots welded on, then the whole thing is either hot dipped galvanised or shotblasted and painted with the stuff they used recently on the Forth Bridge (railway bridge) with a 30-40 year life. In a couple of cases the gates have been clad with brick or timber to give the appearance of a brick pillar/timber gatepost respectively.

Reply to
Bruce