Gas leak detected and fixed, should I make efforts to clear gas out?

I'd have thought (given the point about odour and concentration) that you would be OK running a vacuum cleaner outside on the deck with a hose dropped down into the bilges. I suppose a Dyson cordless would be ideal as presumably they have brushless motors (although they could be generating static).

Reply to
newshound

Various LPG gas detectors available for around £40

Reply to
newshound

Such as changing the Windows clock in response to changes for British Summer Time ?

A feature not included in Macs by the looks of things.

michael adams

michael adams

I think my Karcher (and some other tub vacuums) have separate openings for motor intake and exhaust cooling fan, and vacuum suction exhaust air.

Not sure I'd risk it though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

OTOH, he did say any gas would be passing through the vacuum's motor. This is (or should be) an ng for those with a bit of a clue about what happens in electric motors (in this case, sparks), not for attendees of the Cheltenham Ladies College.

Reply to
Tim Streater

google cinnamon MSDS.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not as far as I know. And what else would you use?

Reply to
Tim Watts

And ironically BP now have a "pay at pump" phone app :)

I did jest with the bloke (well try, this particular garage does not employ people with a sense of humour) about "using a phone next to the pump".

He said "you can do it from inside the car..."

As if.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Petrol obviously :)

A lot of boats have diesel heaters, but more seriously there's nothing else on board as good for cooking. A Primus is a PITA.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Vir Campestris submitted this idea :

And/ or waste heat from the engine, for space heating on the move - as we found with one boat we hired, in winter. It was its only means of heating and the nights on the water can be very cold in the winter.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Some years ago we tried to upset a petrol pump and then tried to ignite some petrol fumes around the tank filling hole on a scrap car.

No mobile phone did effect either, the only way we got a "light" was with a 25 watt PMR radio with a mag base with the aerial tip arcing across to the metal work of the car body on the filler hole!.

Reply to
tony sayer

Static? remember this is what blew up the boat Fanny Craddock was on. It is probably OK, but is it worth the risk? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No but whatever he does, do not use a vacuum cleaner with a brushed motor to pump it out! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I did point out at a local Shell garage that the pay by phone sign is right beside the do not use mobile phones sign. The cashier wasn't interested.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

No, there are very specific and well defined rules for installing and using it in small boats in the Boat Safety Scheme.

Mostly the rules are very similar to those for using it on caravans and camper vans (where it is very widely ised too). However there are few differences, in particular you can't guarantee gas 'drainage' on a boat like you can in a land vehicle.

Reply to
Chris Green

Chris Green expressed precisely :

What, no 'gas drop holes' in the bottom?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Strangely enough, no! :-)

Reply to