Garrard 3000 will not start

I was trying to reconnect an ampolifier inside the case of a long unused home-made record player. It was on its side and flipped over. Althought everything looks intact, the motor will now not start. Power is getting as far as a plug that fits into the motor.

I don't know whether to hang on to it or dump it. Who would want it not working?

Reply to
pinnerite

Have you tried giving the motor a spin with your fingers when it's powered up?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The motors are usually simple shaded pole motors. If you're confident power is getting to the motor then I suspect there is a thermal fuse that has aged and let go.

It is often semi-accessible within or on the lop layer of winding.

Whether it is worth further investigation is your call on its value, sentimental or otherwise.

Reply to
Fredxx

The video here for Garrand 3000, says there's an idler wheel with rubber on it. The presenter also notes that "many have issues with lubrication". Which means, while in storage, the lubricant may have turned to tar or jelly.

There are some turntable designs which were some sort of "direct drive", but many of the others use rubber (belts or whatever).

The motor has to spin the turntable, as well as provide motive power for the auto-play function.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Do you mean garrard? Does motor buzz? Is it type that needs capacitor? Is capacitor ok. Is it worth saving, well, only you know that I have never heard of one, but then lots of badge engineering went on back then.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

If its one of those with a chunk of iron with the rotor in the middle held by two bearings they were for getting much in the gap and then they ceased up, Disassemble clean touch of lube in the bearings, reassemble adjust till you can spin it and then try again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The only ones with that fuse link I can recall were the ones in the Phillips early vcrs or those that used the motor also as a transformer to power a low power amplifier, in both cases the motors tended to run a lot hotter due to the way they were used, in the former case speed control was via a brake like a reverse linear motor and hence they got very hot, in the second, there moor was not exactly efficient as a transformer!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

picture would help. Probably needs a new starter cap?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher