garden wall design

I'm looking for a photo or plan for a low brick wall for the front of the house that would double up as a planter, trailing lobelia and all that stuff. Any jpegs out there to give me inspiration? TIA
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:08:25 GMT, Stuart Noble

Personally I'm crazy about crinkle-crankle .
www.norfolkcoast.co.uk/curiosities/cu_crinklecranklewall.htm
www.suffolkcam.co.uk/easton07022004.htm
www.blythweb.net/cgi-bin/pd/pd.cgi?image=/pd/images/crinklecrankle.jpg&title=Crinkle%20Crankle%20wall%20in%20Halesworth
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack
Mike Halmarack wrote:

www.blythweb.net/cgi-bin/pd/pd.cgi?image=/pd/images/crinklecrankle.jpg&title=Crinkle%20Crankle%20wall%20in%20Halesworth
Thanks, Mike. Nice in Suffolk, but probably not outside a terraced house in London:-) Thinking of a straight, 3 hollow piers type arrangement, about 12 ft long. It'll probably end up full of weeds but you gotta have a dream on these winter days.
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:28:55 GMT, Stuart Noble

Some weeds have great character, are dream enhancing and just love crinkle-crankle walls wherever they begin and end. :-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack
Stuart Noble wrote:

Plant stuff, lay weed control fabric around it, gravel on top of that. No weeds! No watering!
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

More like "lay membrane, plant through it, cover it" ...
Rob Morley wrote:

That as well!
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Another one here http://cka.moon-demon.co.uk/kemsing.htm I used to play on that as a kid.
--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

They are a lot more inviting than straight walls aren't they?
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Certainly to run along the top of when in infant school, yes. Grass at the foot of the wall helps, too.
I had heard that they were done like that to allow for thermal expansion - but I think the stability issue is more likely - that and they look nice.
--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Just imagine the potential for boundary disputes in today's society :-/, I like the look & strength though.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
fred wrote:

Ok, so what about low walls that aren't crinkley-crankley?

Given the disputes that can occur with boundaries I think life is likely to be more straightforward in that department with a straight one, however low, but certainly more boring
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Stuart Noble wrote:

Just a thought - keep it in proportion. Someone near me has had built a massive hollow double wall with pillars, in front of a modest bungalow. Well constructed (though completely inappropriate brick colour), but totally out of scale - it would stop a tank, and the planting is dwarfed.
Perhaps time will soften it ;-)
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK