Garage - Services through foundations

My drawings stipulate that i will need to lintel over services where they run through the foundations.

Do I need to buy a real lintel, or is there some way of doing this with bricks/wood?

The services in question will be a drain entering the front of the garage and exiting the back. I will also have power, water & gas all going through one point into the garage.

TIA Paul

Reply to
Paul

In article , Paul writes

A 5' prestressed concrete lintel will cost about 4quid at B&Q which you can then cut in half to do the two jobs. At 2.50 a piece, I don't think it's worth messing about.

Reply to
fred

brilliant! i'll get one at B&Q warehouse on my way home tonight.

i take it i'll just prop it up on bricks either side.

thanks a lot for the prompt response.

paul

Reply to
Paul

The lintel needs to be able to support the structure of the garage in such a way that no load is applied to the pipes which are being bridged. In order to do this properly you need a concrete foundation either side of the pipe - extending down to a depth several inches below pipe level. You then need to build a brick pillar with engineering bricks and mortar either side of the pipe, and use the lintel to make a bridge between the pillars.

If that's what you mean by "just prop it up on bricks either side" then, yes - that's what you do!

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

ok roger, that's what i'll do. i've got some very dense hard bricks which made up part of an old victorian driveway, i'll class them as engineering bricks for the purposes of this exercise.

thoughts if you're able?

thanks paul

Reply to
Paul

They're probably ok. Apart from strength, the main requirement is not to absorb water and crumble if they freeze.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

engineering

thanks roger - i just decided to buy engineering bricks - they're getting delivered today - it's not the sort of thing that i'll be able to hunker down and eyeball in later years to see if it's survived a hard winter....

thanks again paul

Reply to
Paul