Garage door construction

Hi all

I want to change the door on my garage to something that suits my needs better. I use it as a home workshop and the current up and over door is the only method of entry, there are benches down either side with an aisle down the centre. What I was hoping to do is make 3 wooden doors, 1 hinged on the left hand side of the frame, and a double door hanging on the right - I could then just open the centre part for access or swing them all open should I need too. Got a few questions though

  1. Assuming each door is approx 27" wide, will the double door hang properly or is it likely to sag? Would I be best to use some sort of gate hinge on the door to frame part and standard hinges on the door to door join ?

  1. The doors will be a fairly simple frame with some sort of panel (either board or T&G) To make the frame can I use biscuit joints

  2. I'm doing this on a budget so hardwood is out, I'll have to go with whatever the local DIY shed has, if I give it a good going over with some sort of preservative and then use a quality paint are the doors likely to last or am I on a hiding to nothing.

Thanks for any help and advice you can give

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
JimM

Dont get the timber from the DIY shed is my general advice - much better stuff from a local timber merchants. I made a similar door and used lap joints for the corners and T&G panelled over the whole door. Protected with creosote substitute though, not painted. I'm not sure how biscuit joints would do outside. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Are you sure 3 doors at 27" is the width of your up-and-over door - that sounds a bit narrow to me?

One alternative to cut the weight of the second door would be to halve it, and have half the door hanging off each primary door. Another is to have a hatch door in the surface of a larger door.

Whilst a hinged, double-door is certainly do-able, I can see some really hefty, high-quality hinges and some careful joinery would be needed if it's to be a good, weather-tight fit, but never sags and moves easily.

As far as constructing the doors, for wide and heavy doors - I'd be thinking of a mortice and tennoned frame with maybe fitted diagonal braces as well - if you want something that will give you a weather- tight fit like a house front door.

If a less weather-tight fit is acceptable, consider ledged and braced, which would probably cut the weight quite a bit.

Finally, there's concertina doors - needs at least a top track, and maybe top and bottom - I've never made one, so I'll leave that to those who know!

Reply to
dom

Rather than that, go to your local proper timber yard and ask how much it'll cost in cedar. It'll last for years, probably not cost that much more and meanwhile when the sun catches it the smell will be pleasant.

Reply to
Skipweasel