GAP - BT Synergy 3105 - adding a Freestyle 710/750 handset

Hi All, I have hearing difficulties and need a cordless handset that works with my hearing aids (inductive coupler) - the BT Freestyle 710/750 range claim to do this. This is a rarity in cordless handsets. My existing system, BT Synergy 3105 is GAP compatible (but has no hearing aid support) and the BT Freestyle 710/750 is also GAP compatible too.

So I purchased an additional handset (to add to my 4 BT Synergy phone system, it should allow 5 handsets to one base station) but despite the fact they are both GAP compatible phones the new BT Freestyle

710/750 handset will not register on the base of the Synergy system.

My reason for not shelling out on a whole new system was due to the fact that I=92m still unsure how well the T loop setting (inductive coupler hearing aids) works with this type of phone equipment.

If there is a better newsgroup to post into please let me know. Any help/advice gratefully received,

Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom

When I was looking for phones for my father, I realised you had to beware of weasel wording, some models claim to be hearing aid compatible, which turns out they just mean they don't interfere with a hearing aid, rather than that they actually have an inductive coupler for "T Switch" mode ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It definitely states on the box and in the manual that it has ... "Inductive coupler (for use with digital hearing aids)"

Some of the other BT cordless phones have also done this in the past, but not the 300 series ones I think.

That said I still cannot get this GAP compatible phone to work with my existing system - BT say it should, but its doesn't. I've also tried this handset with another BT GAP system (similar type) but it also doesn't work.

Do I assume then that GAP is a worthless standard or have I got a duff handset?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

In article , Tom writes

This is a good place to ask but you may want to try uk.telecom too.

I assume you're putting the Synergy basestation into registration mode then initiating the registration procedure on the Freestyle handset? Do you get any useful messages or does the registration on the handset just timeout? Maybe try registering as Base 2 instead of 1.

I think I've used the user helpdesk for BT badged phones in the past and found them reasonably helpful, that was on a GAP compatibility issue too and they clarified that although the 2 systems I had registered to would work with basic functionality, I couldn't expect the displays to show anything reliable. They're at bt.helpdesk (at) vtecheurope.com or on

0800 218 2182 if you prefer.

I see that the freestyle 710/750 claims GAP compatibility but it's not mentioned anywhere in the user manual.

Reply to
fred

Thanks for the info - the penny finally dropped that I was doing "Select Base" rather than "Register" and now it works! Select Base is for swapping between registered bases, which as none were registered it just showed No Base. Perhaps it should have said Do Register instead.

btw. the Freestyle 710/750 handset does work with the hearing aids and without buzzing, and caller ID works as does the Intercom (internal calls).

Thanks for all the info and advice.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thanks for that ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Tom writes

Glad it worked for you and thanks for the feedback, I have a few rellies that could do with the convenience of DECT but have been put off by the uncertainty of compatibility with hearing aids.

Reply to
fred