Gadget of the year

Black & Decker Adjustable Auto Wrench.
Features:
- Automatically adjusts to any size nut or bolt up to 1-1 /4" with the push
of a button
- Work in tight areas with the convenience of one-touch adjustment
- Professional heat treated hardened steel and 220 ft-lbs. of torque are
tough enough for any job
Includes:
2 x AAA Batteries
A snip at £30!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman
Sounds like an electric bolt-head rounder-off-er.
Unless the electronics is very clever, it won't close onto the faces with the right force so that it can be slipped on and off to move round for the next turn. That'd mean thumbing the button back and forth on every turn.
It may be stunningly clever and close fully onto the head, then back off automatically just the right amount for the size of head - go on - amaze me.
It would also lack the essential feel that you're properly on the flats of the head, with the potential when working in poor visibility to grab onto the corners by mistake.
Reply to
dom
In article , snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com writes
Just the sort of thing that Daughters buy for their fathers:-(
I am already planning the mildly appreciative words to be used as I unwrap the stupid thing. Oh well! There is space on the shelf next to last years electric tape measure.
Did anyone else get one? Has it ever been used for the purpose demonstrated on TV?
regards
Reply to
Tim Lamb
If it's to the same standard as their battery powered tape measure with 4 AAA batteries, then you are welcome to it. It's a nice tape but the batteries just don't last long enough to make it any real use - a gimmick!
Peter
Reply to
Peter Andrews
In article , alan@darkroom. +.com says...
I made it very clear to my family that not only did I not want an electric spanner[1] but also I don't want a self-extending tape measure either.
[1] 'cos it'll be crap like all adjustable wrenches. Either a) use the right spanner, or b) use a Mole or Stilsons, both of which can grip the recalcitrant nut tightly.
Reply to
Skipweasel
Electric tape measure - it has a little electric motor to extend it and roll it in?
I want one.
Not for measuring stuff of course. But hey - I could use it to prod dozy shop assistants.
Or shooting out in front of people to trip them up.
Or when I'm somewhere crowded, I could tie a glove on the end and use it to wave at people.
Now if anyone can figure out how to electrify the tip...
Reply to
dom
Used one at work, fantastic, so good I know there is one in my Xmas stocking.
Bit larger than an equivalent adjustable spanner, but apply to nut/bolt, press button, start turning easy peasy.
Locks on quite hard as well, I had initial feelings it would loosen as used, but does as its says on the box.
Reply to
Ian_m
That would be rather clever actually - does up hard onto the bolt if there's a turning force (*), then when you pull it in the appropriate other direction it automatically backs off allowing you to release. But I bet it doesn't do anything like that.
*
ie to use it you apply a gentle force until it's tight, then start turning the spanner. might be difficult getting it to not screw up on a spanner applied to the corners though.
cheers, clive
Reply to
Clive George
I think you should stick to being a magician and leave the seriocomedy lines to the real comedians.
-
Reply to
Mark
The Medway Handyman explained on 19/12/2007 :
..and when the batteries go flat?
My gadget of the year remains my self levelling laser level. Plonk it on its tripod, undo its weight's transport bolt, turn it on and it produces a spot on [1] vertical or horizontal line. It is now my the most borrowed item in my workshop.
[1] Spot on as in I cannot find even the slightest inaccuracy in the lines it produces - and all for £19.99. Batteries NOT included.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
I have a Stanley adjustable locking wrench - combination of an adjustable & mole grips.
tool. Great for plumbing as it doesn't round off soft brass hexagons & gives you an extra hand. Wouldn't be without it.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman
In article , Harry Bloomfield writes
Which emporium benefited from your custom?
Huh! I bought one of the first *cheap* laser level sets from Screwfix 119ukp AIR. The levelling screws had to be backed up with springs, the rotating head bubble is badly marked out and the bubble in the level itself is not very accurate. Nevertheless, it has done a lot of work here.
I think the same thing is around a tenner now:-(
regards
Reply to
Tim Lamb
Indeed. And, judging by the way in which manually adjustable wrenches quickly become stiff to adjust when they have been left lying around for a bit and/or encrusted with crud, I wonder how long it will be before the batteries lose the urge to move the jaws!
Reply to
Roger Mills
Brilliant tool. Great for plumbing as it doesn't round off soft brass
Looks good because, unlike a conventional Mole wrench, the jaws appear to remain parallel as they open and close.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Site Timeline Threads