G Zero - any value yet?

Hi, crustys, thirty somethings and M3's alike

I was a SWL in the 70's. Tuned SSB on my homebrew regenerative set by hand movement - closer or further - usually as I smoked a roll - up. Now that took real skill and what a thrill. Anyway, I digress. By '87 I had the ticket, G0 blah. Back them we were treated like the scum on a G 2's shoe. "G Zeroes omfg" they would cry. ( on

80 ) But now, nearly 20 years on like, I'm wondering if a G0 blah is actually worth a brownie point or two ? Am I looked up to by 2E's and M3's purely because I'm 'old skool' now ? Rather like 'we' ( G zeroes ) in our time, held in awe a contact with a G2 blah. Or am I just still the scum on someones shoe somewhere ? Thats what I'd like to know. Cheers and Beers Brainz
Reply to
brainz

A callsign prefix, or even the presence or absence or a callsign, is not a sure guide to 'knowledge'. OK, your G0 shows you passed the RAE and a Morse test so, at the time, you had the required knowledge and skill for both. You could have had much more then, have gained much more since, or forgotten the lot. Same goes for all of us.

Callsign snobbery is a nonsense- whether you are trying to use it as a measure of techical knowledge or on air behaviour. It is a sop to the insecure, no more, no less.

As an aside, I'm not against newer entrants to the hobby adopting an 'old' callsign but I do find it 'amusing' when an ex (say) G7 suddenly "elevates" himself in the technical rating war by getting a G2- then goes on to spout nonsense re the dB. Talking of which, what happened to Dominic?

Reply to
Brian Reay

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj ...

Come on Jim stop trawling through old post trying to generate noise.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jim?s trying to kill the group, Jeff. Thanks, Jeff.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

They?re all on-topic; unn.management because I?m demonstrating Jim?s abuse of the hierarchy; uk.d-i-y because I?m warning them that Jim?s a troll and not to be taken seriously; and uk.local.glasgow because Jim?s a Jock. HTH.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

No, Jim?s definitely a Jock. Thanks, Jeff.

Reply to
Stephen Cole