Futher to the neighbours gutter and a question?

Agreed inprinciple, but surely it's not acceptable for the tiles to be sitting in the standing water, as they clearly are in this case.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I have never had gutters that did NOT do this irrespective of anything.

Leaves will rot naturally outside anyway, whether soaking wet or not.

the resultant sludge in the gutter evenentually reduces the depth, or gets washed somwhere else. In all cases eventually it has to be removed.

Galv iron can be bolted through lap joints which can move under thermal expansion. Lead practice is to overlap and fold. Wherever you have level gutters, crap will tend to build up.

Hence the need to clear it peridiocally. In fact crap builds up anyway. Its just less at the highest flow rate points of the system, and will collect at the lowest flow rates, or where its impeded by a sieve of some sort. Orgainic matter eventually composts down to a peat which will get through most sivees and grilles., This then blocks your soakaways. Hence these need replacing every 50-60 years or so.

Or pressure was the guttering every coule of years as an alternative.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Didnt look like it to me. Looked like they were simply wet at the base after running off the water, much as the base of a sheet on the line is always the last bit to dry.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Look again they're clearly getting wet from the water left behind and wouldn't this cause the roof trusses to rot?

Reply to
George

Agreed inprinciple, but surely it's not acceptable for the tiles to be sitting in the standing water, as they clearly are in this case.

MBQ

Thas exactly what they are doing.

Reply to
George

You can quite clearly see the difference in reflection where the tiles are touching the water.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In article , George scribeth thus

If I had paid someone to do that I'd have them back sharpish.

Gutters are to get RID of water, not store it thats the rainwater butt's job!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Gutters are to stop the roof water runoff cascading down the walls. I had a long discussion with my BCO in this..

What they do with it, is not relevant to their primary function.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What they shouldn't do with it is! Like letting the roof tiles dip their toes in it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

snipped-for-privacy@v72g2000hsv.googlegroups.com...

Has the roof been retiled? Is the bottom row of tiles lower than it used to be, hence the problem with them being in the standing water?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's not up to the person who arrives to repair the leaking gutter, to strip off and re-tile the entire roof though....he's repaired the leaking gutter, if they want to get a roofer in to sort out the bottom half dozen rows of tiles, that's up to them.

Reply to
Phil L

How did they manage to get 4" of lead under the tiles?wouldn't the roof struts be in the way?

Reply to
George

Beg to differ guv, as I see it their there to collect the water of the roof and carry it away not to store it. If they do then someone's got the angles of downtilt cocked up;!..

Water doesn't run uphill;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

And the sandstone slabs are running the wrong way - hardly the fault of the person who re-lines them with lead.

What most people here are asking for is ridiculous...it would involve a full scaffold (£600), removal of sandstone blocks, (heavy lifting gear req - another £100ish), strip back bottom part of roof, relay sandstone slabs on top of wall, provided no brickwork moves, patch up inside house, as oten these blocks are simply plastered over at the top of each inside wall (£200), plus labour etc and you are looking at a good few grand to put it exactly how it should be. Considering the dopey neighbour has been living with a leaky gutter for christ knows how long, it's highly unlikely that she will pay thousands of pounds to have this half pint of water removed from her gutters, which work perfectly BTW.

And it probably did work perfectly until the subsidence which has caused the guters to run in the opposite direction.

Reply to
Phil L

No, they've pushed the bottom row of tiles up and laid the lead, then pulled them back down - it's highly likely that the joists are much further back than this

Reply to
Phil L

In general the above gutters should be set with the right fall in the first place..

Did anyone mention subsidence?....

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , Phil L writes

Extra downpipes?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Philip let me make it clear to you... The rainwater is flowing in the correct direction ie towards my gutter,at the end of my gutter is the downspout. putting another downspout inbetween us is not an option basically because we cannot due to the nature our doorways are adjacent to each other and will look stupid anyway even if we could put one there.

The problem is the joint, its too thick and blocks the excess water it leaves up there. I think it'll get worse when the gutter starts aquiring moss,grass,silt and I'm thinking the rainwater will start pissing over the edge in heavy rainfall?.

Reply to
George

They obviously were.

No they didn't, but what do you think has caused a solid sandstone gutter to run in the opposite direction to what it should?

Reply to
Phil L

I know this George - this is why the neighbours new lead goes over the top of yours, and what is causing the water to hold. In a perfect world, it should be one continuous piece of lead so there would be no steps, but it's not a perfect world and your neighbours lead has disintegrated/been robbed and so it has to be re-covered...short of stripping your gutters too, there is no alternative, and this isn't feasible because A) your gutters aren't leaking and you aren't going to pay for it, and B) the neighbour isn't going to pay for it neither as it's only her gutters she is interested in.

so short of stripping the gutters of the entire row of houses,which no one wants to pay for, can you suggest to me a different way of covering your neighbours gutter with lead and not having a joint like this - I'm sure there are an army of roofers out there waiting for the suggestion.

Reply to
Phil L