We have a leak over flowing drip tray and the center strip is hot to touch!

We have a leak over flowing drip tray and the center strip is hot to touch! open original image
We have a leak over flowing drip tray and the center strip is hot to touch! open original image

The drip pan keeps over flowing. Filter is new, drain plug clear. The drip seems to be coming from a metal piece at the back bottom of the fridge shown in picture metal dripping between the two screws. Also the strip between the doors where they close is hot to the touch ( to the point of burning us) please advice we are confused and worried about the heat issue. I have never seen this. [IMG]

deni

The URL is the least of the problem. The image is so bad it is useless. At least anyone with half a brain knows what to do with the munged URL.

Reply to
clare

gregz

How about a make, model number, when this started, etc!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

With regard to the area between the doors being hot, I seem to recall that refrigerator designers route the hot compressor refrigerant past there on it's way to the condenser to prevent condensation on the outside area during periods of high humidity.

Perhaps they never noticed it before, or the refrigerator is running more than normal due to some problem.

The drip seems to be coming from the tray used to evaporate water from the auto-defrost? Not sure how they work today. Long ago they used to use a small heating element to heat the water so it would evaporate. Would seem to be 3 possible ways you could get a drip:

It's leaking from a hole, the hose, etc

A lot more than normal water is going in there so it can't handle it.

Whatever is supposed to evaporate it isn't working, so it keeps accumulating and runs over.

Reply to
trader4

Have you checked for ice in the bottom of the freezer or behind the back panel of the freezer? Sometimes ice inside can cause these symptoms.

If there is ice, a complete defrosting would be the first step. Make sure there isn't any ice left behind the back panel or down the drainage tube at the bottom of the freezer.

If this cures the problem, see if it comes back soon. If it does, there may be another problem leading to the ice. I have had to replace the small heaters behind the back panel of the freezer a couple times over the years.

--Betsy

--Betsy

Reply to
Betsy

p seems to be coming from a metal piece at the back bottom of the fridge sh own in picture metal dripping between the two screws. Also the strip betwee n the doors where they close is hot to the touch ( to the point of burning us) please advice we are confused and worried about the heat issue. I have never seen this. [IMG]

[IMG]
-- posted from

-i-763038-.htm using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to home and garden related groups

Betsy nailed it, also the small timer motor that turns on and off the defro st cycle may be bad.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hmmm, If that is the case or refrigerant charge is low, it may burn out the compressor. Right now the fridge is acting like heater box.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

drip seems to be coming from a metal piece at the back bottom of the fridge shown in picture metal dripping between the two screws. Also the strip bet ween the doors where they close is hot to the touch ( to the point of burni ng us) please advice we are confused and worried about the heat issue. I ha ve never seen this. [IMG]

[IMG]htt p://
-- posted from
rip-i-763038-.htm using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to home and garden related groups

efrost cycle may be bad.

I would not assume the fridge is acting like a heater. As I recall, it's normal to route the hot refrigerant lines up the area between the doors to prevent condensation in high humidity. It's perfectly normal for that area to be somewhat hot. If it's hotter than normal, then it means the fridge is running more than normal. But I'm not convinced it hasn't been this hot all along and they just noticed it.

Reply to
trader4