Connector ID please

what is the external battery pack connector called? I should know this but my brain isn't helping, and I'm not coming up with the right search keywords either. I have a few battery chargers for rechargeable batteries; rather than using a wall wart for each I was going to take

12VDC from my UPS since the chargers all need to be plugged into the UPS when in use anyway.

thanks

Nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Two come to mind. One is "lighter plug" which is the automobile version. Other is "coaxial power plug". I think.... hang on.

Coaxial :

Coaxial to 9 volt clip (looks useful)

Lighter plug to coaxial adaptor:

. Christ> what is the external battery pack connector called? I should know this

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Post a picture somewhere as there are dozens of different "battery" connectors. Molex, AMP Mate and lock, Anderson Power Pole, various "coaxial" styles, etc.

Reply to
Pete C.

Sorry, I had thought I'd copied and pasted a link to a specific product, but it clearly didn't "take." (I don't know why, sometimes ctrl-c, ctrl-v works, sometimes it doesn't.) I'm sure I've seen a larger version of this same connector used for electric winches as well. Let's try this again... THIS external battery pack connector.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:08:21 PM UTC-4, Nate Nagel wrote: ...Snip...

I'm confused. That link is to a rack mount UPS. Why are you calling it a "connector"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's the connector that I'm trying to identify, the one used for the external battery pack for that UPS. I was hoping to be able to purchase the connector and then connect it to a lighter socket or terminal strip so that I could use natively 12VDC devices in the house without using wall warts.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What connector? All I see is a UPS.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Look at the back of it, there's a red and black plastic connector on the back panel, intended for attaching an expansion battery pack

This looks like the same connector...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Anderson Connector

LdB

Reply to
LdB

Thank you! I knew someone would know if I could just find a good enough picture.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I agree that it looks like a Powerpole connector. There are several differant sizes of them. Often a connector for the positive and another for the negative and you use a small pin to connect them together.

You are talking about 12 volt devices, doesn't that connector have 24 volts on it ?

Inverters are often ran on other than 12 volts.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yup! The connector is for an external "battery pack" 24 volts.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

"Anderson Power Pole"

Reply to
Pete C.

Dangit you're right!

I was getting the Tripp-Lite unit confused with the last one I replaced the battery in... which was an old APC unit with a single typical 12V

7AH security battery... the TL unit uses TWO batteries... and sure enough they're in series! And the other two UPSes that I still have also use two batteries as well, I gave the old one to a friend of mine a while back.

Well there goes a perfectly good idea.

I do have a 12VDC benchtop power supply as well as a CTEK battery charger with a "power supply" mode so it's not like I can't make my stuff work. I was just thinking that since the UPS was powered up all the time anyway I could avoid adding any more transformer losses to the power bill... but c'est la vie

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You need something like this $ 5 device including shipping to drop the voltage at high efficency.

I would not take the maximum current they list as the actual ammount you can use for long periods of time.

261222501361 eBay item number:
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Interesting idea... however my battery charger's wall wart is rated at

12V 2A and I was hoping to be able to run 2 or 3 of these simultaneously so that is probably pushing it. (I may be charging NiMH cells, NiMH "9V" batteries, and/or Li-Ion cells, and that's three different chargers unfortunately...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Perhaps this link will help you out? I have a number of large UPS units and I needed the info anyway. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I think it's been confirmed that they're Anderson Powerpole, this would have solved the problem nicely

if I had a smaller unit, but as another poster pointed out, the decently sized ones are actually 24VDC not 12VDC. D'oh.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Oh, and searching for "powerpole winch" reveals that I wasn't smoking crack, they are apparently used for winch wiring as well. But for some reason I couldn't find it without knowing the name...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I rebuild UPS units and take bad batteries to the recycler all the time. I'll never understand why people throw the units out when all they need are new batteries. I suppose it's good for me but the dummies still toss perfectly good equipment. I just put two new AGM batteries in a 750va UPS that would cost $400.00 new, $32.00 for new batteries. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas