Cleaning the gutters - not a question

More of an observation, or series of rhetorical questions. But is there any worse task than cleaning gutters? I used to think so, but after doing it for the first time I'm wondering. Standing on a ladder with a high-pressure hose in your hand, manually removing compacted Douglas-fir needles with your sopping wet-gloved hand. Just waiting to jam your fingers in that one spot where the wasps decided to over-winter. I was lucky enough to not strike wasp when pulling that muck out of there, but when I swung around the front of the house to clean them I was swarmed by wasps and wisely decided to come back another day. Maybe after the first hard frost.

I finally discovered why my drain system wasn't working, and also discovered why that big tall strong Douglas in my backyard isn't such a wonderful thing afterall. Those things shed needles like MAD.

Uggghhh, maintaining the gutters before the Seattle rains come is probably the only important thing I need to do this year.

Reply to
Eigenvector

They make an attachment for the shop vac. That way you can stand on the ground (away from the wasp) and either vacuum or bow the needles out. It works best if they are dry and you don't let them get to bad... but it would keep you a good distance from them..

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

"JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Damnit, I didn't even think of using my Shop-vac. It sure beats getting all the pine needles soaking wet trying to pressure wash them out.

Well I still have to do the front gutters, so maybe I'll go for it.

Honestly I was strongly considering replacing the gutters. I still have those old 1960's rain gutters that aren't nearly large enough to catch the runoff from the roof and the downspout it all of 2 inches in diameter. Man when you live in Seattle you need SERIOUS rain gutters.

Reply to
Eigenvector

I still have mine to do. They will, as usual be near full with dirt/leaves. I use a putty knife and flip them over the side, no sopping wet mess to deal with that way (other than what is already there). Of course it does require moving the ladder several times per gutter.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Observations inline...

Yes. Rodding your sewer line or cleaning out your grease trap come to mind.

Most hardware stores sell a "scoop" for cleaning gutters. Through the crap on the ground or carry a bag to put it in. No biggie.

Something to be said for doing this work on a cool day.

Reply to
mrsgator88

Get gutter helmet, ends cleaning gutters forever!

Reply to
hallerb

2" diameter downspouts are fine, especially in Seattle. While the Pacific NW is known for rain, it is long-duration, low-intensity rain. The intensity is the least of any other place in the U.S. No hurricanes. :) I think round downspouts look nicer and make it easy to bridge compound angles with one run.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to put those bulbous wire strainers at the tops of your downspouts. I like to walk around my roof a few days after every heavy rain spell, and about once a month during the wet season, and clean out my gutters. It's pretty easy. Then again, my roof isn't super steep.

Reply to
mike

LEAFGUARD Brand gutters. Haven't cleaned mine in 9 years.

Reply to
Art

I had gutter helmets and they were worthless. Depends on slope of roof. Leafguard gutters with builtin helmets work well though.

Reply to
Art

Hmmm, If you did it every season, it'd have been easy task.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have a friend who I have cleaned there gutters 3 times in about a year.

lots of trees and acorns, frequent cleaning really doesnt make it easier in all cases

Reply to
hallerb

I can think of one... ever clean a septic tank?

No, I haven't either -- but every time I watch (and smell) one being pumped, I'm glad that I'm the guy with the pen and checkbook, not the guy with the truck and hose.

Gutter screens...

Reply to
Doug Miller

You mean they weren't wet already, and you got them that way??

If they're dry to start with, just go up on the roof with a leaf blower. Gutters will be clear in moments.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Oh, yes, it does. Just imagine what your friend's gutters would have looked like if he had *not* cleaned them 3 times in a year!

Reply to
Doug Miller

sadly arent effective the little stuff gets thru, and consolidates well under the screen ,making it even harder to remove:(

Reply to
hallerb

By me, it isn't the leaves in fall so much as the damn maple-tree "helicopters" (seedlings) in the spring. They ball up at the top of the downspout, and when they do, it's all she wrote.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

The concerns I have had with most of these (especially things like Gutter Helmet) is that it would seem to prime areas for the development of ice dams.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Well considering I've only owned the house since March you can't fault me there can you?

Reply to
Eigenvector

ice dams slide off since theres no edge for them to catch on, have friend who had ice dam trouble gutter helmet ended the problem

Reply to
hallerb

Eh, the top part was dry, the lower levels were decomposing - so damp maybe?

I'll try the shopvac trick. The person who put the new roof on has it hanging half-way over the actual gutters, so there isn't much space to fit anything in - although a shop vack angle attachment would get in there.

BTW: It rained last night and what do you know - actual water flowed down my gutter drains? Whoever said that Seattle only has gentle rains needs to live here in November, December, January, February, ......

Reply to
Eigenvector