Furniture safety straps?

This is a really stupid question demonstrating (no doubt) limited intelligence but how are you supposed to install a child safety furniture strap (to anchor a cupboard to a wall)?

The free straps that come with some cupboards are about 5 inches long - if you screw one end in to the cupboard there is not enough room to get a screwdriver in between the cupboard and the wall to screw the other end in!

Are there any alternatives available? I can't seem to find anything for the UK but there are plenty of devices it seems available for sale in the US?

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

I agree about the strap. Throw it away & use a bracket

also has the advantage that it locks the cupboard 'square' & makes adjusting doors much easier.

Can't be seen if above eye level e.g top of wardrobe. If it will be seen, mark the wall at the top of the cupboard, move it aside & fit the bracket upside down IYSWIM.

As you say, they can't be fited that way, so as to be invisible. If you don't want a bracket showing, drill trough the back of the cupboard & screw to wall.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The ones I have seen, you screw to the wall FIRST, then poke the stap through to the inside of the cupboard, then screw to inside!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Can you recall which make of cupboard? Never seen that in any instructions, nor a slot built in, but its an excellent idea.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Gareth coughed up some electrons that declared:

What I've done, for furntiure I might want to move occasionally, is to put a eye hook in the wall, another on the back of the furniture then connect them with a screw shackle..

This presumes that you have 2-3 cm of clearance behind the furniture.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I think it was an Ikea wardrobe, but sorry I cant be sure, as I don't build flatpack quite on the scale you do!

Whatever, I am sure you can make somthing, and just cut a small slot in the back of the hardboard back for customers that may want it!

Reply to
Toby

I've got some Ikea Billy bookcases here, the one nearest me has such a small slot/cut out in the underside of the top to slip the strap through, so you can screw it to the underside of the top

Reply to
chris French

Most IKEA cupboards and wardrobes do this, both for straps and brackets.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida