Frog question.

Thanks to all,

Very helpful.

Cheers,

Spamlet

replying to Spamlet, Chris wrote: The frogs should be laid up so that they are filled with mortar when laying the next course, this improves load bearing capacity. For smaller low load walls frogs can be laid down to reduce mortar useage.

Reply to
Chris

You're replying to a 2008 post. Get yourself a sane portal to here. Here is news:uk.d-i-y.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes and always quote a post if its being reactivated for whatever reason too as most of us would have not the foggiest idea of why one would bring back an old thread. Maybe there is a reason but here in the real world onf newsgroups, we are no wiser. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I say old chap, that's a bit hard on the frogs. I mean brexit is one thing, but that's worse than fartynge in theire general direction.

They are building a house next to me. The bricklayer I talk to has a city and guilds in bricklaying. I asked him, which way up one should lay the bricks. He said 'doesnt natter really. If we are trying to get a thick mortar bed to bring the course up to level we lay em frog up otherwise either way really. The mortar fills the gap whatever when you tamp the brick down'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Feel free to tell him that owners of any houses he builds with frog-up party walls won't thank him for it ... though I suspect they'll use blocks nowadays instead of bricks, and be designed to meet part E noise requirements, unlike 1970's practices.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Gah! frog-down

Reply to
Andy Burns

I expect that they will fail noise tests with the frog down as you will get air voids unless you are really careful. Frog up and they fill with mortar easily.

Reply to
dennis

That will teach me to post after I read the rest of the thread, or probably not.

Reply to
dennis

The Frogs in our pond in the paddock are always 'Frog Up' even when mating, but this time of year they are making a terrible noise about it, being over exuberant non natives, as they were introduced here in the 1930's from Hungary. They've spread to our part of the Brede valley in the past four years !

When the Heron has one (or several!) for supper they can be 'frog on side' for a while :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson