Fridge winter button

I have scanned my birth certificate and emailed it to you.....

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Really? Have you shown me a free hot woman with a decent personality who lives close to me?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

So? The resting respiration rate of a child is higher than that of a resting adult. A child trapped in a fridge isn't going to be resting, well not immediately...

Not for long, it's not so much the lack of oxygen that gets you but the build up of CO2.

Too young to remember Apollo 13, as well.

Have you tried it when the door can't move. Remeber you have strong finger compared to a child, oh and in the pitch black as well so you can't see what you are doing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Get yourself a supermarket carrier bag, tape up any holes, try and re-breath the air in it for 5 minutes.

No, you have been brought up with the nanny state. There where real hazards about in 60's and 70's and before that don't exist these days because they have been recognised and removed by "elf and safe tee" that you appear despise.

wasn't

another

I wasn't quite in my teens but do remember the newspaper and TV stories as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What on earth makes you think a child consumes more oxygen? They are smaller. They might breath faster, but their lungs are smaller.

I didn't say indefinitely. And I didn't say it was good for you, just that you can survive breathing it 2 or 3 times at least.

I bet if you braced yourself against the door the catch would fail.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Some of the old latches could pull the refrigerator door quite tightly closed. Especially on the big commercial models.

Reply to
polygonum

Maybe you ought to be working for NASA. The figures *I* quoted were from research they sponsored. It wasn't a small study, either, it involved

1600 people of all ages from small child to fit, mature adults.

So, you're claiming that a child can break out of a locked fridge within a few breaths. get real, those locks were strong.

Not if you're a child, it won't. Those locks were well made and quite secure. Some of them even had keys.

You seem to have convinced yourself that going into an airtight space with 40 litres of available air is safe. Get into one, and let someone lock you in, then try to escape within the few minutes of air available. It's not an experience you will want to repeat, and if your release is delayed for any reason, well, Darwin's law gets you.

Reply to
John Williamson

Or heatstroke.

Anyway, I have no idea why you seem to be so vehemently opposed to a fact. What so upsets you about the idea of fridges with catches?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

There were definitely just as many idiots before, but they weren't on the Internet.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I can hold my breath for 3 minutes 40 for a start, without the bag.

Hazards which common sense causes you to avoid. We should never ever be forced to be safe.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Oh so I'm some magical person who consumes less oxygen than everyone else?

A few breaths? I never said anything of the sort. I said a few breathings of the ENTIRE FRIDGE.

Oh yes they're really going to lock themselves aren't they?

Lock?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

A lot of idiots removed themselves from the gene pool, so there must have been less idiots.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

It would take ages to warm the fridge up that much.

The fact that anyone should care about a stupid child who traps himself in one.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

It's possible. There is variation between people. It's more likely that your unscientific trial was flawed.

Available air about 20 litres (40 litres of fridge space less the volume of the child) gives about ten breaths per cycle.

They locked themselves by being closed....

I included the comment about keys to illustrate that these were not fridges as we now know them. Locks were sometimes needed to keep the servants out.

Yes, lock, to accurately simulate the condition of the child in a locked fridge in the 1960s and '70s. Or you could see how long you could tolerate breathing the air inside a sealed plastic bag over your head. A pedal bin liner has about the same free volume as a fridge with a child in it.

I lasted about three minutes before I started panicking when I tried it for a bet.

Why are you so upset by the facts?

Reply to
John Williamson

Not that much.

Don't make me show you my degree in Physics.

You do not breath anything like 2 litres in 1 breath.

You would have to operate the lock with a key.

You would have to operate the lock with a key.

Most people could hold their breath for that long without the air in the bag.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

See my email.

Reply to