Fridge winter button

More amusing for harry, is this one, from the 1947 Labour Government.

"'Starve with Strachy and shiver with Shinwell!' "

Or this. A real gem.

The Natural Philosopher

Once upon a time, fridge doors had a latching handle. You had to lift the handle to open the door. When these fridges were thrown away, children would play on the waste ground where they had been thrown (we are talking 1950's or 60's here), and climb into the fridge. The door would shut, and then the child would be stuck. Fridge doors tend to have a fairly air-tight seal, so the child would suffocate.

Cue a) public information films warning people to disable the door latch before they threw a fridge away; b) rules that new fridges couldn't have latching doors.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Minutes. What utter s**te. Tell me what is so toxic it can kill you in minutes? I assume you think they'll suffocate. That would take a LOT longer than minutes. You can survive for minutes on the air in your lungs. How many lungfulls are in a fridge?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

What's wrong with supply and demand? Increase the prices.

Do you have something against nuclear power?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

The oxygen in roughly 5 litres of air per minute is turned into CO2 by a child. A`40 litre fridge (ignoring the volume of the child) will hold enough oxygen to sustain a child for 8 minutes if they are calm. In fact, a combination of panic and CO2 buildup kills them within about 5 minutes.

If I was feeling vindictive, I'd suggest you try the experiment for yourself and report back with your findings.

Reply to
John Williamson

Trolling trolling trolling

Reply to
Mr Pounder

No, nothing like 5 litres per minute. Imagine a child blowing up balloons by breathing at their normal rate.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

No, stating facts.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

I chose her out a very long list. You chose the wankers doom.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

The research was done in the 1960s. 5 litres/ minute at rest, up to 15 litres per minute when playing outdoors. This assumes that the air is at STP. A 1 litre balloon contains about 1.5 litres of air at STP.

Reply to
John Williamson

You seem to be suffering from a shortness of life. Anyone over 50 will remember fridges with catches, assuming the dementia hasn't got to their long term memories.

You're under 30, yes?

Reply to
John Williamson

There aren't many decent ones about.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

I just measured myself at rest and got 2.5 litres a minute, and I'm bigger than a child. And you can re-breath air that has already been used, all the oxygen is not taken on the first attempt. And it's easy enough to poke your finger through the seal to let some air in.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

  1. Born when people had started becoming cissies and protecting each o= ther from stupidity. HA! RANDOM sig below....

-- =

Health and Safety Officer required to start ASAP, circa =A335K: Your main duties will include: Hampering other staff and preventing them from carrying on with their du= ties. Handing out huge quantities of pointless paperwork consuming approx 1 ra= inforest per year.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Now measure it over a 10 minute period. Your uncertainty is about 50% over a minute, as you only take a few breaths. Measuring over 10 minutes reduces the potential error by an order of magnitude.

You have, of course, verified this by experiment?

While only about 20% of the oxygen is used per breath, you can't use the oxygen when the percentage falls below 17.5%. You also start having breathing problems at 5% CO2, and can suffer irreparable brain damage at

10%, so both ends of the equation get you within five minutes or so in an airtight space the size of the average domestic fridge.

Are you claiming that the film was made because of a non-existent problem?

I was a teenager at the time the film was made, and while it wasn't common, I remember stories on TV and in the papers about yet another child dying in a discarded fridge or freezer. If it hadn't been a problem, then the law wouldn't have needed changing, and the film wouldn't have been made and played on TV.

Reply to
John Williamson

I did it over 5 minutes.

It's pretty obvious.

You can breath it more than once. Breath into a bag, then breath the bag's contents again.

People being over cautious, that's what elf and safe tee is all about.

It's the government being seen to be doing something useful. They probably saved a very small number of stupid children we would have been better without anyway.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Trolling ever nearer to the edge of the cliff. At the bottom of the cliff lies total insanity. You have a head start.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

  1. Born when people had started becoming cissies and protecting each other from stupidity. HA! RANDOM sig below....

You were 36 for at least 4 years that I know of.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I have tried to help you out in the past on this subject.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

State why you believe I am trolling.

Reply to