Fridge stat

A few months ago, our kitchen fridge stat failed. It's a "larder" fridge, that is, no freezer compartment. So, I bought a new stat on eBay and fitted it. Within a few weeks it started "sticking" in the off position. I'd come down in the morning and the fridge would be up to ambient temperature, or close to it, and no amount of twiddling the temperature control would make any difference. However, a firm rap with the knuckles would cause it to spring into life, until the next time. I complained to the supplier and he sent me another stat. I fitted that one and things were fine for a few months. Now the new stat is doing exactly the same. So, are these scabby quality stats (it was less than a fiver) or am I fitting them wrongly?

Reply to
Huge

I suspect they are either crap of the mechanical placement is upsetting them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sounds like theyre junk quality. If you gently file the contacts clean, and fit a relay and 2 snubbers, you'll likely find it works long term.

NT

Reply to
NT

Could there be another fault which is catching the stats, such as water running into them from somewhere it didn't used to?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Naah. The design is such that the stat is a long way from the cooling plate.

Reply to
Huge

Leave it alone, there is nothing wrong with it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder