Buzzing lamp

Hi all,
I am having a bit of trouble with a desk lamp purchased from Ikea back in 2002, similar to this:
http://tinyurl.com/btbvp2r
It was fine for a few years and then began to make a buzzing/vibrating sort of noise which got progressively noisy until you gave it a quick knock in the base which would quieten it down.
It was no longer needed for a while anyway but now I need it and it still makes that noise.
Is there any way to stop this noise from happening? It seems to be coming from the base which I presume houses a transformer as the bulb is a 20w type which runs on 12v DC. If you hold the lamp upside down, the noise completely disappears.
Sorry if this is a repost.
Cheers
--
David

Depends whether it uses an electronic transformer or a lump of iron.
NT
Its obviously loose laminations or the internal structure is ferrous and the transformer is just loose and rattling. If one can take it apart, you might see some small bits of rubber which have probably gone hard. Bear in mind that it is probably going to run quite warm, so replace the packing with something that can take that heat. if the bobbin is loose as well some heat glue might be the answer here too. It can be silenced to some extent, but you might find a bit of trial and error is required, and for goodness sake be careful if running it with the case off!
Brian
gremlin_95 wrote:

If the lamp has a transformer that is causing the buzz, it'll be due either to loose laminations or loose windings. One way of dealing with the former to tap one corner of the laminations with a light hammer (use a drift if space is tight). I doubt there's anything you can do about loose windings.
Beware that using percussive maintenance could cause total lamp failure...
Terry Fields

When the transformer in my bathroom razor point started buzzing, I flooded it with superglue. It's been fine since.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 63rd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3177
"At this time of year it's easy to forget the true meaning of
Huge wrote:

LOL
I come from a time when nearly everything had a transformer but superglue hadn't yet been invented.
Terry Fields
Terry Fields wrote:

Dipped in hot wax or shellac
Shellac is the prime source of the Awful Smell of tortured electronics.

I just used ordinary household paint/varnish and a small brush.
--
Alan
news2009 admac myzen co uk

But don't use water-based paint/varnish (which is all I had at hand at the time). I did this, knowing full well that I would have make sure that all the moisture had thoroughly dried out.
I dunked the whole transformer in the tin, and left it for a few hours before removing it and draining off the varnish. I then let it dry out in the bathroom hot cupboard for three days. Not long enough, I'm afraid. The hum was cured, but soon I heard some arcing and sparking, and wisps of smoke - transformer primary burnt out!
--
Ian

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:44:45 +0000, Ian Jackson

One to watch, cheers. So whatever coating was insulating the wires was water-soluble - I'd sort of assumed it wouldn't be, but there y'go.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

The enamel / polyurethane insulation on the wires won't be water soluble. However, 230V and dampness don't mix. I'm kicking myself for wrecking an otherwise perfectly-working transformer. There was really no urgency to stop the buzz, and I could have waited till I got some oil-based varnish (etc). It was a rather special transformer too, in a large-ish analogue 1.5A DC multi-voltage wallwart power supply. It has a secondary with switched four voltage tappings, so the chances of finding a suitable substitute are nil.
--
Ian

or the transformer has come loose itself, or something else is now loose which can vibrate in the stray magnetic field from the transformer.

I would start by opening it up, tightening all the screws, and closing it again.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Chuckle, I'd not use percussive measures myself. often some form of runny laquer is a good plan, but care needs to be taken as they can smell foul when hot. I'm not convinced it will be running on DC though if its a normal bulb, but low voltage, many run on the ac from the secondary winding directly. Indeed I had one with a dimmer on it and this was basically two tappings on the same transformer.