Four panel door to fit 730 x 1830

Have just fitted (OK, the joiner has...) two new internal doors upstairs. We want to get the third one to match but the frame is

730x1830. Now, we had no trouble finding four-panel (two up two down victorian style) pine doors to fit the new door frames, but finding a matching door to fit the 730x1830 frame is a bit difficult. I have phoned a lot of suppliers and listened to much sharp intaking of breath.

Our alternatives are, as far as I can see:

  1. Cut down a 1981 x 762 door. No problem on the width, but this means taking 151 off the height, which will lead to very narrow bars at the top and bottom. The combined height of the top and bottom frame is 235, which when cut down leaves around 80mm to divide between top and bottom,

  1. Have a craftsman lovingly craft us a new door to match and then lovingly craft us a large invoice.

  2. Buy a six-panel in 2040 X 762 and chop the top panel off. I haven't explored this, but I think the top frame and panel are going to be more than 210 in total and will give us a door that is too small...

  1. Spend many hours in reclamation yards hunting for a match.

We'll go with #1 for time and money reasons, though the door will look a bit odd (otherwise known as "character", and we'd better not slam it in a row.

Can anyone think of an alternative??

David

Reply to
David

Fit a new frame to take the door size of your other 2 doors

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Replace the frame,or just nail the new frame wood over the existing frame to save tie and disruption,the architrave will hide the two sides of the frame.

Reply to
George

me.- Hide quoted text -

On Aug 27, 1:38 pm, "TMC" wrote: > Fit a new frame to take the door size of your other 2 doors

Thanks guys. Good idea, but the frame as it is is a 20mm thick plank fixed to the rubble dividing wall. Making it bigger would be a bit of a job, making it smaller would entail reducing it below 6', possibly to stunning height.

Anyone else?

Reply to
David

That's what I did when I needed a small door, though I did it with a standard door. Much time was spent looking at doors with a tape measure to look at where cuts would need to be.

Reply to
Paul Matthews