For those with sat navs

Beware, you are being followed and every route and destination logged - including speed and times!

Unbeliever

maps. My replacement maps come on a DVD.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

to much sleep over it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Except that the gubbermint are using that info to gain revenue through knowing where to set their speed traps, The company was tom tom and there was such a hullabaloo about it they may not do it anymore.

Reply to
F Murtz

Erase the logs before connecting to a computer?

Reply to
Rob

My first thought. My TomTom pops up as a mass storage device on my Linux box, and you can do what you like with the files.

Reply to
Huge

No I'm not, f****it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

If you have a phone contract or registered sim card it's already possible to be tracked around the country as you move through cells and if your phone has GPS I'm sure you can be tracked much more accurately.

Just throw away all your technology and credit/debit cards of you're really worried and stay at home.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I think I know the person who owned that sat nav!

Reply to
Allan Mac

The max speed recorded ATM is 116MPH.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Its pretty obvious that they log the data and use it. How else do they get the speeds that are actually driven on the roads to do the planning if they don't download the log data? This is years old not something recent.

Reply to
dennis

From Traffic Master?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Traffic master cover an insignificant number of roads.. Tomtom for example have speeds for nearly all the roads and use them to plan routes. This is why they are almost always better at route planning than the others.

Reply to
dennis

.... like edit them and fake them. Let them download evidence that you spend 3 hours every night between 2am and 5am parked outside Downing Street.

Justin.

Reply to
Justin C

So long as you don't mind Special Branch following you, listening to your phone calls and reading your emails.

Reply to
Huge

What make of Satnav do you have? Apparently TomTom devices create a binary log file - which no-one in PocketGPSWorld knows how to decode.

Perhaps you know differently?

Reply to
Roger Mills

A Navigon 4310 Max.

It not a detailed log (start place, start time, average speed, max speed etc, basically everything mentioned in the BBC page at 30 seconds in) and it is in the user setting if you want to use it or not, I have not decoded anything:-)

The only thing that I know is that the log is a pain in the arse as it needs a "log name" for every journey. I'll send you a copy of one if you email me.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks - but mine's a TomTom - so they ain't going to be the same.

Does yours log a journey even when it's not navigating? [On a reasonably familiar journey, I don't bother to plan a route, but leave it switched on so that it reminds me where the speed cameras are!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

I do not know. The journey would not show on the Excel log book that I can open if I did not use the option to save the route before starting the journey. Maybe the SatNav does save that info and that is the info the BBC refer to.

I always put a route in, even on the roads and journeys I know, as the Traffic Master works better that way.

Reply to
ARWadsworth