For anyone who thinks home wind turbines are a good idea

not only spelled wrong (it should be "kW") but it is not the irght unit anyway. I guess they meant kiloWatt hours.

grumpy, Cambridge

Reply to
Robert Laws

"but it is not the irght unit" What does 'irght' mean?

Reply to
wattie

I think I'll drop a note to the Times exposing solar panel ROI while they're at it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

week???? surely the B&Q ones do better than that?

Reply to
Dwayne & Angela

What amazes me is not those figures but the victim was (claims to be) an Engineer. It would be a lamentable but plausible fact if a general member of the public was conned (by the marketing, innumerate prose, band wagons etc.). It says a lot uncomplimentary things about the victim that was sold this toy who could not evaluate the suitablility of equipment costing £13k.

To those who say "the device will pay for it's energy of manufacture and installation", I have no disagreement in principle. It's just what damage the £10k+ profit shared out along the way will do the environment, how many foreign holidays, 4X4s, garden jacussis and patio heaters will that pay for?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

You would think, wouldn't you?

Have you ever read about the king's suit of clothes?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah.. but if you believe in it so much and really want it to work then failure is not on the list of options...

until reality sets in of course.

Quite a few. Such is the cynicism of the purveyors of these goods.

Reply to
Andy Hall

An attitude which might equip someone for many possible careers, but engineering isn't one of them. Politics would seem to beckon...

Reply to
Joe

Grow Your Own Energy, a UK consumer advisory service on domestic renewable energy agrees with the main premise that urban small wind is a niche market. The vast majority of urban sites, especially for building mounted turbines are likely to be unsuitable. We'd encourage those considering a wind turbine to visit our web site and use the Technology Choice Questionnaire to see if the technology would be viable for your home.

or give us a call on 0845 257 9 257

Reply to
Grow Your Own Energy

He's not just "an engineer", he's an engineer who lives in Woolwich and is called John Large. Can you guess who it is yet?

Not to suggest that any particular John Large might have a certain _agenda_ behind energy issues!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sorry I'm not up to speed on the identities of John Large and his agendas hidden or otherwise.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Guess its the same John large often cited as an independent nuclear consultant.

Adam

here:

Adam Aglionby

First two hits on Google: