Splash back idea

I am still planningmy kitchen and have started thinking about splashbacks

If all else fails than I will use tiles but I want to explore other options first

I dont want a stainless steel splashback, I think it will look too much like a commercial kitchen but I have been wondering about having a copper or bronze one, the colour would suit the room well

However, searching on the internet I find that copper taints food which is presumably why I have never seen a copper splashback

So maybe I could varnish the copper? Can one successfully varnish metal? ... I am reaching the end of my knowledge here

Can anyone add pithy thoughts? Or tell me to abandon the idea

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

You don't eat food from the splashback, surely?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Its standard practice to varnish copper alloy ornaments and fitments. If not coated it turns green. Glass may be more maintenance free though - any varnish coming off the copper, as it presumably will from cleaning, and it goes brown then green. You can get some very fancy bits of glass from... IIRC Tatra glass.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

edge-lit glass, in ever-evolving colours ? I'm thinking about using it somewhere in my kitchen. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Go for plain copper! Have a Google of ' copper in hospital fittings '. Here's a few hits:

Dave-UK

I'm not up to speed with modern finishing products but can only imagine that a varnished copper splashback would end up quite unsightly in short order. Unless you want to exert the effort to keep it polished :))

What are you using for worktops? If wood you might consider Jarrah for splashbacks. A species of Eucalyptus, very hard, dense and waterproof. It is used in UK and elsewhere as wear surfaces on weirs and watercourses. Natural colour is akin to copper. Also used in the past for waterwheel construction.

stone out of the question? It comes in colours, shades and patterns that cannot be matched by manufacturing processes. Not just granite or marble. Sandstone, slate, lava and likely more. A firm locally manufactures stone worktops for bathrooms kitchens etc. I am just amazed by the variety of material that they use. This is a link to one of their suppliers
could also consider lead. Not food friendly but as said before you won't be eating from it. Durable and easily maintained. Doesn't have the brash or hard aspect of s/s.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

No need for a modern finishing product.

A traditional lacquer should be just fine.

Reply to
Bruce

When you get it working post some pictures please. It sounds interesting.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Why not use a coloured toughened glass splashback, available from many glass and/or kitchen fitters, in a range of colours.(Kitchen fitters seem to be more expensive though) You just need to measure accurately and stick onto the wall with super mirror adhesive (supplied with the glass).

It's hygenic and any colour you want. I'm very pleased with ours.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

I have used both Simonize and Halford's own clear laquer products in an aerosol can. Very durable and hard-wearing, as you would expect for a product intended for spraying alloy wheels etc. A very easy spray can to use. A while back, I needed to 'produce' some edge tiles for my kitchen. The black ones that I was using only came in an edge-less version, and I didn't want to edge with any of the trims that you sometimes see, so I used a permanent spirit based black marker pen to first make the edges jet black, and then sprayed them with the laquer to give them a gloss. They have stood up so far to repeated cleaning, without a problem. I also used it to spray over emulsion paint that I used on the kickboards that I made. I did it this way because I wanted them to be gloss and easily cleanable, whilst still being an exact match to the red emulsion accent colour I was using elsewhere in the kitchen design.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

We also used coloured toughened glass bought directly form the glass company. Although it was expensive (plus =A330 for each socket cut out!) it worked out cheaper than paying a pro to tile the whole surface.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I got a local glass company to supply a toughened glass panel with polished edges and screw holes as a splash back - we put holiday snaps etc. behind it

- nice to look at while cooking ;-)

Alan

Reply to
Alan

I like the idea of glass splashbacks so emailed Tatra Glass (thanks NT) who have some lovely colours. They got back to me very quickly saying ========= Coloured splashbacks are made from low iron glass which is clear as supposed to normal glass which has a slight tint. The back is then sprayed and fired to a RAL colour. A RAL chart can be got from a painting and decorating merchant. The colour will remain true on low iron glass. The edges are also polished and the glass is also toughened for safety purposes. It can then be glazed using silicone. The thickness is 6mm. The total price inc delivery would be £1502.71 inc vat. ====== Which is a bit of an eyewatering price but the area I specified is quite large and I could modfy both the area and hence the price. I do like the idea that I can get the glass in whatever colour I like

I had a google and there are several other glass splashback suppliers but the colours they offer just dont suit my kitchen. I dont think they are much cheaper than Tatra either

But then Arfa's recommendation for spraying the copper sheet with lacquer is very interesting

Decisions decisions

I do love the design bit Its so much more fun than the actual DIY. Is that heresy on this newsgroup? Its just the feeling of a woman who is five years into a big project and really wishes it was done and dusted. Dusted being ther operative word :-)

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Cripes. ISTR seeing splashback sized sheets at Tatra for about =A360 in multicolour. These are see-through glass with pretty colour patterns in them, so the paint behind the splashback becomes the background colour.

Even plain window glass would be practical and cheap. Needs to be mounted removably for repainting and an occasional clean.

heh, yeah :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222